• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 85mm lens flare (1 Viewer)

SteveCA

I just bought a 85mm Diascope and find that the scope exhibits quite a bit of lens flare (in photographic terms). Has anyone had luck with reducing the annoying flare (when the sun hits the objective lens) using multi-coated filters?

I've used B+W MRC UV haze filters on my camera lens with good luck, but have not tried them on the scope.

Well I finally answered my own question by ordering a B+W multicoated uv haze filter from B+H Photo.

There was zero improvement using this filter on the scope. It still exhibits dramatic lens flare whenever the sun hits the objective lens. With the filter it happens more frequently as it protrude out further.

Aside from the lens flare issue, I am very happy with this scope. I guess I'll carry a piece of cardboard to hold over the scope when needed...

Steve

Does extending the built-in lens hood help?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

This was going to be my question. I've never experienced lens flare from the objective lens with the hood extended. However, I have had lens flare from the exit lens when digiscoping beccause I use a point-and-shoot digital and there is some distance between the camera lens and the eyepiece. Enough to let the sun in anyway. This is ususally remedied by shielding this gap with my hand to block the sun.

Does extending the built-in lens hood help?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Yes, but only if it completely prevents any sun from hitting the objective lens, which doesn't work if you are looking at an object in the direction of the sun or even close.

I decided to return the MRC UV haze filter as it protrudes so far out that the sun hits it too much of the time now.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back