• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

passerine drawing (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi all, what do you make of this?

I think I know what it is but place and time seemed unusual.

Attachments

• scan20070831184724.pdf
    231.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I believe that Lapland Buntings are more rare in Germany than in Finland, but what's odd with the timing? Doesn't the species winter in northern Germany (at least it does so according to my bird guide)? The earliest spring migrants arrive in southern Finland in late March.

Looks like you've got a Lapland Bunting.
Looks like you've got a talent.

The two reasons you annoy me the most.

Nice one - did I miss date and location?

Nice one - did I miss date and location?
´

The drawing says 24.03.07 (i.e. March 24, 2007). The place seems to be Niefern-Öschelbronn, which is in south-western Germany (I just checked).

And yes, the drawing is a very good drawing of a Lapland Bunting.

Yes... that is what I thought ....
I have a bit of experience with Lappland bunting from the North sea coast; but only Autumn birds... never seen the species in spring before

When I saw this ; at the first seconds I thought odd skylark; just to stop immediately and think; no wait; it is a Lappland bunting!

Problem is , the species is extremely rare in southern germany... for the federal state Baden-Württemberg i just managed to find 2 old records from the Rhine valley!

and also it looked quite reddish brown in many parts ; I thought this should be a trait of 1st winters and not of spring birds?!?

Yes... that is what I thought ....
I have a bit of experience with Lappland bunting from the North sea coast; but only Autumn birds... never seen the species in spring before

When I saw this ; at the first seconds I thought odd skylark; just to stop immediately and think; no wait; it is a Lappland bunting!

Problem is , the species is extremely rare in southern germany... for the federal state Baden-Württemberg i just managed to find 2 old records from the Rhine valley!

and also it looked quite reddish brown in many parts ; I thought this should be a trait of 1st winters and not of spring birds?!?

This is a spring female (May):

http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=SL1084737837&lang=fin

The wing bars are rather worn, but otherwise it looks quite much like the German bird (there's maybe a bit more blackish on the sides of the ear coverts). Due to the timing of the spring migration late March is probably a very good time to see a Lapland Bunting in southern Germany during the spring (I mean if you want to see one during the spring...).

Also the bird appeared after a short period of snowfall down to 400? m ...I don´t remember the exact hight, very low however... only the lowest areas near the river(open meadows and adjacent fields) where this bird appeared , were not covered with snow.

I didn´t refind him after he finally flew, and the next day snow was all thawed and birds were moving on.

However, I am still surprised how more reddish it looked, closer to a juv/ early first winter (it seemed to me more than on your link, CAU? Is that possible?

Also the bird appeared after a short period of snowfall down to 400? m ...I don´t remember the exact hight, very low however... only the lowest areas near the river(open meadows and adjacent fields) where this bird appeared , were not covered with snow.

I didn´t refind him after he finally flew, and the next day snow was all thawed and birds were moving on.

However, I am still surprised how more reddish it looked, closer to a juv/ early first winter (it seemed to me more than on your link, CAU? Is that possible?

Hello Joern!

I haven't got too many good views of Lapland Buntings in March / early April (usually they just fly up before me when I'm walking on a field etc.), and I don't know the exact timing of the winter moult. However, I'm very convinced that your bird was a Lapland Bunting based on the drawing, so the answer to your question should be yes. Here's one from January:

http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=pirpa1053114776&lang=fin

Regarding the height, I don't see it being a problem. Entire southern and middle Finland is much lower than that, and it is a fairly common migrant here (with flocks up to several hundred on the fields in spring, much less in autumn).

Last edited:
Thanks Cau... that´s a good fit...

I was a bit worried about coloration and had to reassure myself on species; because Lapland bunting is very unusual here and since I live in southern Germany I have seen more odd escapes than all the years before.

and concerning the height... i didn´t see that at a problem the question mark was just because i didn´t remember the exact height the snowfall was descending to...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back