• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV's didn't really blow the little BN's away! (1 Viewer)

Brock,

Reversion to "original" learning bears some similarity to early childhood learning, but it is not age related. It has to do with how operators are first trained, and how that influences their behavior and perceptions later on. In the case of binoculars, most people originally learn to operate some level of quality instrument. This involves a myriad of micro-behaviors such as holding, adjusting, looking, as well moving and knowing where and how to observe. As with all skilled operator performance the supporting behaviors become "automated," (by the brain) and after a while the comfortable operator may no longer even be conscious of the component actions. Certain perceptual behaviors also become learned and automated, such as (possibly) suppression of lateral color consciousness, vestibular responses to the globe effect, color transformation of the image, and so forth.

Many of the criticisms and preferences expressed about new or older optical instruments revert to this original learning by the individual, both the operational and perceptual aspects. Such memories are never really lost; they are merely our psychological reference backa. :-O

Ed

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

I cannot fault anyone's preference for the 8x32 BNs. I owned a pair for quite some time and found the ergonomics and size very favorable. The optics were also excellent. I am wondering if Dennis's preference for their particular image quality has to do with the silver prism coating? I have noted several times that certain binoculars display a very calm, pleasing overall image representation. In almost every case it was a binocular with a silver prism coating....possibly enhancing the warmer side of the color spectrum?

Interestingly enough I did come across something related, and yet not, to this discussion. Could it be possible that Dennis is coming full circle? Check out post #93 in this google translated thread. It would seem that some Chinese binocuholics follow Dennis's comments with great interest.

;)

http://translate.google.com/transla...m.php?mod=viewthread&tid=156596&extra=&page=1

Gentlemen,

I cannot fault anyone's preference for the 8x32 BNs. I owned a pair for quite some time and found the ergonomics and size very favorable. The optics were also excellent. I am wondering if Dennis's preference for their particular image quality has to do with the silver prism coating? I have noted several times that certain binoculars display a very calm, pleasing overall image representation. In almost every case it was a binocular with a silver prism coating....possibly enhancing the warmer side of the color spectrum?

Interestingly enough I did come across something related, and yet not, to this discussion. Could it be possible that Dennis is coming full circle? Check out post #93 in this google translated thread. It would seem that some Chinese binocuholics follow Dennis's comments with great interest.

;)

http://translate.google.com/transla...m.php?mod=viewthread&tid=156596&extra=&page=1

To you guys with Leica 8x32 Ultravids would the case on the Ultravid work with the BN's? I don't care for the leather case on the BN. Would a fairly large neoprene strap and the BN binoculars fit in the Ultravid case and does anyone by chance have one for sale that they are not using. Also, does anyone have an idea where you could get a case like the Ultravid case that would fit the BN and it's strap. Thanks!

To you guys with Leica 8x32 Ultravids would the case on the Ultravid work with the BN's? I don't care for the leather case on the BN. Would a fairly large neoprene strap and the BN binoculars fit in the Ultravid case and does anyone by chance have one for sale that they are not using. Also, does anyone have an idea where you could get a case like the Ultravid case that would fit the BN and it's strap. Thanks!
Hi Dennis. You might be interested in this thread which I started when I first bought my BNs.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=116825

The little Trinovid fits the Ultravid case (if that is indeed what it is) very nicely. However I don't have a strap on the case and use the strap on the bins to carry them. I don't think that there would be enough room inside the case for any strap, let alone a large neoprene one.

Ron

Last edited:

I think it would be a fine fit, but why do you think you'd like it better than the BN case? I like the BN case very much--it is beautifully/expensively made, and is among the last of the truly custom-fit (for exceptional space efficiency) cases around (but no longer available from Leica). In my opinion, it blows away the competition--no contest. Doesn't provide much padding, though it does absorb minor impacts much better than an unpadded or thinly padded nylon case (I don't think the moderately padded Ultravid case would be any better), but I don't go banging my bins around into things. All I need is a cover to protect the bin from little bonks, grunge, and scratches when stuffed into a backpack. The case does have a solid floor (unlike the cheap, unexceptional Ultravid case) to eliminate need for objective guards to prevent contact of lens coatings with the interior of the case. As I say, it is a really space efficient design--it holds the bins with rainguard and with a large neoprene strap (fold it in half, then half again, then fit between the bino barrels under or around the center hinge with IPD set to max).

I like it so much that I bought another to hold my Zeiss 8x32 FL with neoprene strap.

--AP

Last edited:
I think it would be a fine fit, but why do you think you'd like it better than the BN case? I like the BN case very much--it is beautifully/expensively made, and is among the last of the truly custom-fit (for exceptional space efficiency) cases around (but no longer available from Leica). In my opinion, it blows away the competition--no contest. Doesn't provide much padding, though it does absorb minor impacts much better than an unpadded or thinly padded nylon case (I don't think the moderately padded Ultravid case would be any better), but I don't go banging my bins around into things. All I need is a cover to protect the bin from little bonks, grunge, and scratches when stuffed into a backpack. The case does have a solid floor (unlike the cheap, unexceptional Ultravid case) to eliminate need for objective guards to prevent contact of lens coatings with the interior of the case. As I say, it is a really space efficient design--it holds the bins with rainguard and with a large neoprene strap (fold it in half, then half again, then fit between the bino barrels under or around the center hinge with IPD set to max).

I like it so much that I bought another to hold my Zeiss 8x32 FL with neoprene strap.

--AP

Maybe I will give the leather case another go. My problem with it is sliding the binocular straps through the opening in it. They seem kind of hard to fit through there and don't slide that easily Of course my strap is doubled now because I back looped it through the buckle the way people on the forum suggested to keep the strap from falling off. You slide the case up when you use your binoculars right and the case stays on the strap and then you recover your binoculars with it correct? I am just not used to using my binoculars that way. I didn't even figure a big strap will fit inside of it as small as it is. Maybe I will try it.

... I have noted several times that certain binoculars display a very calm, pleasing overall image representation. In almost every case it was a binocular with a silver prism coating....possibly enhancing the warmer side of the color spectrum?

Frank,

I've had the same thought. In fact, I prefer silver prism coatings (so far). But, it may be one just of those things I became used to in my early learning about fine binoculars.

Ed

My problem with it is sliding the binocular straps through the opening in it. They seem kind of hard to fit through there and don't slide that easily Of course my strap is doubled now because I back looped it through the buckle the way people on the forum suggested to keep the strap from falling off. You slide the case up when you use your binoculars right and the case stays on the strap and then you recover your binoculars with it correct?

I only use my cases for transport. When I use the bins I just take them out of the case and put the case away. I don't like to have anything dangling on my binocular strap at all.

By the way, if the Leica case is a bit small you might want to try to find one of the old Zeiss leather cases for the 10x40 Dialyts. It's somewhat bigger than the Leica case and holds even a wide neoprene strap no problem. These old Zeiss cases are also beautifully made, much better than modern cases.

Hermann

I only use my cases for transport. When I use the bins I just take them out of the case and put the case away. I don't like to have anything dangling on my binocular strap at all.

By the way, if the Leica case is a bit small you might want to try to find one of the old Zeiss leather cases for the 10x40 Dialyts. It's somewhat bigger than the Leica case and holds even a wide neoprene strap no problem. These old Zeiss cases are also beautifully made, much better than modern cases.

Hermann

The leather cases are not much good in heavy rain though are they, unlike those "modern cases" ...

Hermann

Hermann,

Do you have a source for a 7x42 BGATP case? I have a nice cordura one, but I'd love to get either the hard or soft leather jobs.

Ed

Hey Dennis, how are your SV's for glare / flare control? [compared to your FL's]

Very good. I feel they are a little better than my Zeiss 8x32 FL's although the Zeiss were 32mm and of course the SV's are 42mm and usually the bigger exit pupil binoculars are more resistant to glare for reasons Henry has explained. I was comparing the Leica 8x32 BN's the other night at sundown to my SV's though and I was surpised that the BN's were almost as glare resistant as the SV's which kind of surprised me. Probably the most glare resistant binoculars I have had were the monster Zeiss 8x56 FL's which Henry still has I believe. You could practically look directly at the sun with no glare whatsoever with that big 7mm EP the glare never reaches your eyes. But man your arms are tired!

Hermann

Where do you get the case for the 10x40 Dialyts?

Where do you get the case for the 10x40 Dialyts?

Dennis:

The case for the 10x40 Zeiss Classic, is a simple leather case, with no padding,
but longer than what you have been thinking of for the shorter 8x32. If you
are trying to find one of these, you will find it hard to get.

I have been watching your post, and a Zeiss FL case for the larger 8x42, is
nicely padded offers some extra room, and may be a nice case for your needs.
Do you remember the one you had for your FL 8x32?

Otherwise, how about putting that Leica into that nice Swaro. case that you
have for the SV. I do wonder about what you really need the case for, as for
many users, you just carry your optics, and have the optics covered, so don't
need much of a case.

Jerry

Gentlemen,

;)

I think your on to something with your theory about the silver prism coatings. I had the Zen Ray 8x43 ED with silver prisms and then later when they improved them with Dielectric prisms I had the newer model EDII and I remember thinking that even though they were slightly brighter there was something I didn't like as well about them. They seemed colder and almost nervous like the objective was trying to grab ever photon of light that was available. It could be I like the spectrum of colors presented by the silver prisms. Interesting theory and deserves more thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back