• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid eye relief.... (1 Viewer)

Dumfound

Hello,i recently bought a pair of 8x32 ultravid.They are better,i think,than my old Trinovid in their brightness but i miss the eye relief of the trinovid.Even when fully twisted out i still have to be very exact about how i position them to avoid black shadows appearing at the edges,something that never happened with the trinovid.Has anyone else experienced this?

Though I do not have a Leica 8X32, I have tried both, and, because I wear glasses, my experience was just the opposite. I could not use the Trinovids because of not enough eye relief, but did get a full field of vision with the Ultravids. I thought the Ultravids were a great pair of binoculars. I just could not cough up the money for a pair.

I really dislike it when bins do not provide enough eye relief. But, naturally, if I did not wear glasses I would really dislike it when bins provide too much eye relief.

How much would it add to cost to have two models, a short eye relief bin and a long relief bin? With flexible manufacturing systems I would not think it would be very expensive at all, but I do not know.

Lew

Dumbfound: adjust the interpupilary setting. If you get blackouts you have too little or too much.
Don't shy out. The Ultravids are great, you will get used to them and will be able to avoid the blackouts.

Dumfound said:
Hello,i recently bought a pair of 8x32 ultravid.They are better,i think,than my old Trinovid in their brightness but i miss the eye relief of the trinovid.Even when fully twisted out i still have to be very exact about how i position them to avoid black shadows appearing at the edges,something that never happened with the trinovid.Has anyone else experienced this?

I'll bet anything you haven't got the eyecups fully twisted out. I have the 8x32 BR's and had the 8x32 BN's... they have the same eye relief. However, when I initially purchased my Ultravid's I "thought" I had the eyecups all the way out and was a bit disturbed about the eye relief... UNTIL I realized, becasue they are quite stiff, I hadn't turned the eyecups all the way out...

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back