• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Birders I Need Your Help (2 Viewers)

QuestionableCarrot

Hi

I have this type of thread up on the Northern Ireland path but thought I would put it up here again just to make sure its not missed!;)

I would love to hear from as many members as possible that check in on the NI thread about where they are from, what birds they see in their area and if they are willing what rarieties they have seen as well and more importantly where they can see em' :t:

I spent a good three months last year tracking down yellowhammers, red kites, sparrowhawks and black caps - and I only saw the yellowhammers.

So where guys can you see Spotted Flycatchers and Kingfishers in your neck of the woods?

Anyone willing to divulge their spots and whereabouts very gratefully received!

I might even throw a pint in if its a good oneB :)

QC

Take the path from the back of Tescos and head out along the Upper Bann over the bridge wher the Cusher flows into the Bann and on to Monneypennys. Find a spot and sit and wait. There are usually frequent sightings of Kingfishers just up past Monneypennys.

John.

Thanks John.

2.06am!

You are keen!

Taking Monday off actually to head up the Bann and maybe as far as Scarva for a tea and bicky.

Will have my eyes peeled...

:t:Kingfishers Also Present On The River Bann At Moyallen (the White Bridge] Got This Photo At 7.15 Am At That Location
Also A Pair At Craigavon Lakes , Park The Car Beside The Watersports Centre Head Right Over The Bridge Were The River Flows Into The Lake And You Will See Stepping Stones The Kingfishers Can Be Seen At That Point , They Can Also Be Seen On The River ( Patience Is The Secret)

Attachments

• DSC_4098-3.JPG
    DSC_4098-3.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 89
Hi guys.

I know that part of Bann well - gonna have to invest some patience in sitting it out and waiting for the fishers.

The yellowhammers and stonechats that I saw in abundance were in a grassy field on the north coast near Castlerock (a few miles from Coleraine)

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Tomorrow I am heading to Newcastle to try and get some Brent Geese on the binos before they start heading back.

Still havent worked out how to post or resize photos on this site but will send you pix here when I can work it out.

Great shot of the Kingfisher Mac - lucky blighter! Look forward to the day when I can snap one of them. Used to see them all the time when I fished the Cusher and Bann. Used to see lots of dippers as well. One day this year I am gonna sit it out and wait for them without a rod!

Ta

QC

Hi guys, I also use the two spots Mak3154 has described. I spent about 8 months of last year getting up at dawn every saturday and sunday photographing the kingfishers at Moyallon. The kingfisher at Craigavon Lakes I found by pure luck just before christmas as I was just looking a shot of a robin in the snow for my christmas card. Since reporting the sighting at the lakes to the Biodiversity Unit and providing evidence in January I was granted a licence to photograph kingfishers near the nest but haven't seen one since!
Going out to my favourite spot today where I shot the photo below and also to a new spot Mak3154 gave me directions to while chatting to him on Saturday. Nice to meet you mate :t:

Some of my other kingfishers from Moyallon and Craigavon Lakes are in a Flickr set here.

Paul

Attachments

• kingfisher (3).jpg
    kingfisher (3).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hi Paul

Nice to meet you. And what dedication to the cause. Today is a fab morning for photographs so I hope you get a few!
Lovely pic by the way:t:

Seems there is a nice little Portadown/Lurgan contingent floating around - perhaps at some stage we could all meet up for a chin wag...

When you guys talk about the white bridge at Moyallen, are we talking about the one on the Stramore Road? I used to fish there all the time with my dad and the sight of a kingfisher flitting up and down the river was a common sight. Its very good for dippers too.

I had thought about sitting down by the river bank one of these days soon. If you walk down the lane (at the white bridge) right down to the bottom there is a gate you can jump over into a small field and opposite an old derelict outbuilding is a "shored area" where the cows will/used to go down for a drink. Not sure if this is the same area but its where I saw most of my fishers.

I too have got into photography and am looking forward to snapping as many species as possible. As you know Paul, the towpath is a terrific walk and has so much to offer for anyone interested in flora and fauna all year round.

I was in Newcastle yesterday and managed to get really good snaps of a courting Black Guilemot couple but cant upload the photographs to the site.

Nice meeting you and thanks again Ckm8 and Mak for looking in again.

P.s. Your photos (Flickr) are great I have snapped many a bird at Moneypennys myself - your Kingfishers ones though are stonking!
QC

Last edited:
Hi Paul

When you guys talk about the white bridge at Moyallen, are we talking about the one on the Stramore Road? I used to fish there all the time with my dad and the sight of a kingfisher flitting up and down the river was a common sight. Its very good for dippers too.

I had thought about sitting down by the river bank one of these days soon. If you walk down the lane (at the white bridge) right down to the bottom there is a gate you can jump over into a small field and opposite an old derelict outbuilding is a "shored area" where the cows will/used to go down for a drink. Not sure if this is the same area but its where I saw most of my fishers.

P.s. Your photos (Flickr) are great I have snapped many a bird at Moneypennys myself - your Kingfishers ones though are stonking!
QC

That's the place but if you walk on past there there's another fence and the pond where I took most of my photos is at the other side of the fence.
I was there for a couple of hours this morning and saw nothing. Was given an excellent display by 3 buzzards though.

Paul

I was there for a couple of hours this morning and saw nothing. Was given an excellent display by 3 buzzards though.

Paul

Nice Buzzard shot Paul. Just checked your flickr pics as well. You threw me slightly with the username here which like me is different than on flickr but already have you on my contacts. You have a great collection and not just of Kingfishers. I see you also got to Gosford for the deer. I went a few weeks back but it was spoilt by a heavy fog.

John.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlambe/

Posting photos

Hi guys.

Still havent worked out how to post or resize photos on this site but will send you pix here.

QC

You need to link your photos from another site you can't upload directly to the forum. Open a free photobucket or flickr account then upload to there and get back to me and I will talk you through from there. I started with photobucket which is easy to link from them got a flickr account. Took a bit more work to suss it out

Anyone out there know where you can see Red Kites without too much waiting? :)

I watched a wonderful video on the Red Kites re-introduction to Northern Ireland on the RSPB website last night. They refer to the launching site has being 'Co Down'.

I reckon I may have saw one in Castlewellan but I would like to hear from anyone that knows a good spot.

Thanks

QC

Red kites

I asked the same question just a few weeks back. There is a reply with directions in the N.Ireland page about 3 pages from the end

John

Cheers John

Having looked at that reply - its the same place where I thought I had saw a Kite when Pony trekking.
I know exactly where to go with the binos next time.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me where they might know of a good place to see Stonechats?
I have seen them on the Antrim coast but as I am without a car I dont want to travel to far.

And the same applies for Wheatear - anyone know a good spot for them?

Those are the two that I want to nail on the camera at some stage in the future.

Ta

QC

There's a pair of stonechats out the back of Asda in Antrim. I can check next week to make sure they are still there.

Spotted flycatchers nest in the grounds of Millbrook hotel in Ballynahinch

Many thanks Mark - usuall do a shop in Asda so will say to the Missus about that one :t:

Spotted Flycatchers eh?

I think someone mentioned that they were seen in Portadown last year - thanks for reminding me about that one as well.

Ta

QC

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back