• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help - I Disturbed A Garden Nest (1 Viewer)

Anneka

Can anyone help. I cut some ivy down and disturbed a small round nest in the hedge with 2 very small pale blue eggs in. One egg had fallen, so I put it back. I have tried my best to cover the nest, but it is very much exposed now. Do you think the birds will return to the nest? Also, which bird has pale blue eggs about 1.5cm in length? Is there anything else I can do? How far away should I stay from the nest and do you think my scent will put the parents off?
Thankyou for your time

Anneka said:
Can anyone help. I cut some ivy down and disturbed a small round nest in the hedge with 2 very small pale blue eggs in. One egg had fallen, so I put it back. I have tried my best to cover the nest, but it is very much exposed now. Do you think the birds will return to the nest? Also, which bird has pale blue eggs about 1.5cm in length? Is there anything else I can do? How far away should I stay from the nest and do you think my scent will put the parents off?
Thankyou for your time

Sounds like a hedge sparrow. It may be too late if the nest is too exposed now, the birds may feel very vunlarable. If the egg was damaged then it will be too late for that also but handling the eggs isn't too bad in itself unless you left a strong perfume smell on it :) I know from when I was a lad...and I know we shouldn't have...but boys will be boys...we handled eggs in every nest we found and the parents always came back. Stay back and hope for the best...if it is in a quiet spot it may be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back