• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron GS665ED / SDL Zoom (1 Viewer)

Hi. I have a GS665ED Scope, and purchased an SDL Zoom with it. However when fitting the eye-piece to the scope body an adapter collar is required, which is supplied with the scope. However I have noticed that the SDL Zoom is very poor indeed on this scope Body - virtually useless on what I estimate to be above 25x, and only satisfactory at the lower 16x. If I remove the collar and attach the eye-piece directly to the body it is better, but it only screws on by 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn which clearly isnt really secure.
I took it to my local Optics dealer who had a rye smile and informed me that Opticron are bringing out a new model of the GS665ED, but which will only be useable with the SDL exclusivley. His view is that he will not stock it as it is too inflexible been dedicated to one eyepiece only. I have tried my GS665ED with an HDF Zoom which is far superior in terms of image quality, which shocked me as it is £60 to the lesser. I have so far spoke to only a few other people who have had this issue but wondered whether there is anyone else out there who has had a similar experience?

I've not heard of this complaint before, but it seems very unsatisfactory performance-wise. Have you contacted Opticron? I've been lead to believe that their customer service is pretty good, they might come to some arrangement with you - either for the HDF zoom or thew new scope???

SDL Eye-Piece

Yes I have contacted Opticron. I purchased a new HDF 20xWW, & I must say that I really like the scope with this eye-piece. I took it to my local Optics dealer, who is very reputable, & we stuck on a HDF Zoom (which screws straight onto the 665 with no adapter) just to compare it & the difference was incredible, it was so much clearer & brighter, so much so we both had to look through it several times if you catch my drift! leading me & him to believe that the issue was around the adapter collar, rather than the SDL eye-piece per se - it is probably very good and well worth the money on another body. The fact that there is a new GS665 dedicated solely to the SDL would indicate to me that Opticron know there is a compatability issue between the two, but I may be incorrect in my assumption. I will await a reply from Opticron before I make my judgement on their integrity. I flogged my SDL on e-bay yesterday for £140. Thankfully I only paid the equivallent of £54 in the first place as it was part of a package!

They say there is no known issue, and advise me to buy a HDF T Zoom! They are going to see what used/ex-demo eye-pieces they have in stock & offer to sell me one

Last edited:
I've not heard of this complaint before, but it seems very unsatisfactory performance-wise. Have you contacted Opticron? I've been lead to believe that their customer service is pretty good, they might come to some arrangement with you - either for the HDF zoom or thew new scope???

I've found Opticron at Luton helpful but on my last visit, they didn't seem to know their products and eyepiece compatibilities and I left without finding a solution. A few weeks later, InFocus at Martin Mere correctly advised that an SDL would fit my old ED60. It fits using the outer thread - and works superbly.

In the end they offered me an ex demo hdf Zoom for £139, a new HDF Zoom Mk1 for £100, or an ex demo HDF with marks on the glass for £120! I cannopt say I was impressed with my dealings with Opticron. In the end I got a brand new HDF Zoom for £140 from Focus Optics in Coventry where I buy all my optical accs, & as usual they were excellent. I have now swapped my GS665ED for the GS815ED and I find it far easier on the eyes. Whilst I relaise there will be people on here who have had good experience with Opticron, and I am genuinely pleased for them, to me it is the epitomy of everything which is bad about british industry, the service has gone through the floor! Next time I replace it will be Japanese or German.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back