• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opening FZ38 RAW images in PSE 6. (1 Viewer)

STS

I've got Photo Shop Elements (PSE) 6, which doesn't recognise Panasonic's RAW format. I was going to up-grade to PSE 8, which does, but have read some very poor reviews which have put me right off. Is there any way in which I could keep PSE 6, which I now know quite well, yet open RAW images from my FZ38?

TIA, Thomas

You could try out PS8 for your self to see if the reviews have been on the spot or unfair. Have you looked into if the DNG converter (I hope that is still a free download from Adobe) would turn your raw file into something manageable by your PS6?

I would guess there are free raw converters, look for example at this page: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Cameras.html

Niels

Hi Niels,
I'm not sure what a DNG convertor is, in fact. It has struck me, though, that I could use some of the software (PhotoFun Studio 4.0; Arcsoft; and Silkypix) supplied with the camera, one of which presumably is capable of opening RAW images. Just the problem of sending over to PSE6 after that!
Thanks for your help.
Thomas

Silkypix is a raw converter; here is a page from DPreview talking about it

Here is the link to the Adobe DNG page. As you will see, it is a more universal version of a raw format. If your current PS can open a DNG file from the Panasonic is something I am not sure of (I have not tried).

Niels

As you will see, it is a more universal version of a raw format. If your current PS can open a DNG file from the Panasonic is something I am not sure of (I have not tried).

Niels

which means it can also be used for Olympus's E 620 raw files?

The DNG converter is a free download. If the Photoshop versions will open any DNG or only those for which the version is cleared is something I do not know, I don't normally do raw (and if I did I would probably use my ACDSee). In any case, the latest PS elements should open the same raw files as the latest PS CS version to the best of my knowledge.

Niels

I've got Photo Shop Elements (PSE) 6, which doesn't recognise Panasonic's RAW format. I was going to up-grade to PSE 8, which does, but have read some very poor reviews which have put me right off. Is there any way in which I could keep PSE 6, which I now know quite well, yet open RAW images from my FZ38?

TIA, Thomas

I had an FZ28 which I got to work with PSE6 but you have to download an upadated version of Adobe Camera Raw from the Web and then install it within the program, which can be a bit tricky if you are not sure what you are doing. It took me several attempts but eventually I got it right and it worked just fine.

However I then upgraded to Windows 7 which is not supported by PSE6 so I had to upgrade to PSE8 anyway. I haven't found it very different from the older version and haven't had any problems with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back