• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mechanical Quality Trends (1 Viewer)

OPTIC_NUT

Given the prevalence of great optics
but also of scary spotty build quality, I thought it would be useful
to collect up information about units that didn't work or last physically.

I'm noticing the build quality tends to go along with the product line.
Important subtleties would included the 'slushiness' of the focuser.

I was particularly impressed with the feel and action of the Vortex
units I looked at recently, but mechanicals will be the biggest part
of my decision in the $170--$350 range soon.
There are also high-quality surprises at lower cost, I've found.

Any trends, experiences to share on particular models?

Too many people get twitterpated over optical buzzwords, and pay to little attention to the mechanics--focus, rigidity, baffling, field stops, collimation, etc.--that are just as important.

Bill

Too many people get twitterpated over optical buzzwords, and pay to little attention to the mechanics--focus, rigidity, baffling, field stops, collimation, etc.--that are just as important.

Bill

Never did like buzzwords, usually bs anyways. Give me solid mechanics and build from a reputable company that knows their business.

There is a reason why good optics cost more.

Less short cuts, and more attention to detail.

Bryce...

Never did like buzzwords, usually bs anyways. Give me solid mechanics and build from a reputable company that knows their business.

There is a reason why good optics cost more.

Less short cuts, and more attention to detail.

Bryce...

But there are SO many misconceptions. That's what my book will try to fix.

People give me a list of all the AMERICAN manufacturers and I scratch out "manufacturers" and write in IMPORTERS. At the risk of so many telling me it ain't so, I will point out there hasn't been a consumer line of binos make in the States for decades!

And so many of the buzzwords people spend so much time worshipping are absolutely meaningless. :-C

Bill

But there are SO many misconceptions. That's what my book will try to fix.

People give me a list of all the AMERICAN manufacturers and I scratch out "manufacturers" and write in IMPORTERS. At the risk of so many telling me it ain't so, I will point out there hasn't been a consumer line of binos make in the States for decades!

And so many of the buzzwords people spend so much time worshipping are absolutely meaningless. :-C

Bill

I look forward to it. Your book! : )

And I agree on importers!

Bryce...

Bill

I noticed those details a lot in doing repairs and enhancements,
and I was amazed the mechanics are even more crucial and
sometimes missing today.
It all has optical consequences, of course. It was when I picked
something personally "most comfortable to use" that I was really surprised.
Some smooth oldies clobbered the Yosemites because of the 'stiction' on the
O-rings. These are well regarded binocs, still (the Yosemites). In addition to
optical buzzwords, I think we become focused in on the 'maximum attainable'
experience, and the day-to-day ease of use (and even of attaining a nice
image in a timely manner) gets forgotten. You can get very smooth and
precise action at a reasonable price, but it's certainly more rare at lower
costs. I've been rebuilding focusers on everything, old and new, though,
and now I need to get some teflon lube for the Yosemites. That's something
you don't worry much about at twice the price. Extra time and
materials can be put in. Internal focusing lenses wipe out the thunkiness.
Attention to detail.

Last edited:
Anyway...
I was hoping for information on notably bad mechanics and QC.
As we know, that can plague a pretty wide price zone.

Anyway...
I was hoping for information on notably bad mechanics and QC.
As we know, that can plague a pretty wide price zone.

I charged $120 an hour, with a one hour minimum, and was constantly in work overload. Today, no one wants to have precision work done at a fair price. [By the way, I did FREEBEES any time I could] I was pleased to do work every week that other so called "experts" couldn't touch. But:
They say that all good things must end, someday.--Chad & Jeremy, 1964

Thus, I've gone from America's big dog of optical repair to a has been, who just writes about it. I thought I would grow old more gracefully; I was wrong. :-C

Bill

That seems to be the way in a lot of things. Not many repair shops, just buy-n-toss.
Or: you send a defective return and Nikon or Bushnell just sends a new one.

Here's an idea to chew on, though:
--Assuming great optical parts and shaky mechanics, or aging binoculars, you:

--Offer 'souped up' versions of known models, accessories and upgrades.
More cred. to you, and value-added for the customer.

So rather than repair, you resell a much better pair.
Not sure if it would work for binoculars, but that's done for things like
motorcycles and sailboats and guns. There could be a standard upgrade
package for Yosemites, for example, some slow focusing and a short baffle hood,
or even for the oculars of the 8x30 SE's. Nice hoods for binocs that lack the inner
quieting.

I'm working on 'packaging the experience' at the antique shop, fresh boxes and
repair commentaries, etc. Pictures of people using them in the background.
People aren't as intimidated when they feel they can know and control the experience.
The shelf turnover has gotten fairly high and some people wait for a consult.
They feel the rebuilt focusers and they see the difference.

Those people start not knowing anything, but even with people who do,
maybe you can sell something 'extra', enhancements instead of repairs.
Like tweaking cars or guns or snowshoes, but with optics.

Last edited:
I charged $120 an hour, with a one hour minimum, and was constantly in work overload. Today, no one wants to have precision work done at a fair price. [By the way, I did FREEBEES any time I could] I was pleased to do work every week that other so called "experts" couldn't touch. But:
They say that all good things must end, someday.--Chad & Jeremy, 1964

Thus, I've gone from America's big dog of optical repair to a has been, who just writes about it. I thought I would grow old more gracefully; I was wrong. :-C

Bill

Bill, I for one am glad to see you around.

Your knowledge base on optics is far beyond what a lot of us think we know!

Bryce...

Bill, I for one am glad to see you around.

Your knowledge base on optics is far beyond what a lot of us think we know!

Bryce...

You are kind. But remember, I beat my friends gently.

My whole shtick is to offer thoughts that make my neighbors come to the right conclusions on their own.

As far as being around, since I got Riffed at Ft. Lewis, I'm NOT around. If I needed work done, Cory is the only guy I would trust. He worked WITH me in the Navy, and FOR me at Captain's. He's TOP DRAWER. Sadly, too many people think manufacturers (read importers) have qualified techs just waiting to serve. And I saw Santa Clause just last night.

From the book:

22 “I GOT A ‘NO FAULT WARRANTY’ WITH MY BINOCULAR SO I NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING.”

Fallacy: A "no-fault warranty" assures you, you’re getting a good product.

Fact: ‘No fault’ warranties come on binoculars of all qualities.

“No Fault Warranties” have become very popular in recent years and people are buying increasingly from companies offering them. Even so, I have a different take on the phrase, “No Fault Warranty,” than most consumers:

“We’re making so much money off these little suckers, we can afford to hand out two or three replacements and still make money. Besides, we know most people won’t recognize a problem or contact us at all. That means we can layoff our in-house repair techs, give you a brand new instrument, and make you think you made out like a bandit even though, in some cases, the second or third instrument may not be any better than the first.”

Are all “No Fault Warranties” like this? No! No! No! But, “Buyer Beware” is a phrase of ever-expanding importance. ;)

Bill

Last edited:
I've always said how good he was. But said, as soon as I hung my shingle out again, he would go back to being optical "dog meat"!

Actually, no matter how many shingles I put out, he's still top drawer! And one of about two or three fellows I've called "my best friend."

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back