• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baldock Quail Chances? (1 Viewer)

It's interesting that so many people have reported seeing Grey Partridge as I only saw Red-legged on my visits (about a mile away in the heat haze!) I'm almost tempted to have another go this weekend after the recent Quail sightings.

Cheers Jos.

Overnight, I have thought on it more and have dispelled all the evil doubts. What I saw was in no way a tail less Corn Bunting and a definite Quail. It stays on my list.

Thanks for bringing up the presence of the tail less Corn Bunting though. It is best for people to know about it.

Hi Andrew,

Yes it was a QUAIL , even at a fair range a grey partridge would show the chesnut/red on the head , corn bunting just way to small & they dont fly straight over crops for that distance.

PH:t:

I've been there four times without success. Of course when I declined a lift there a friend of mine saw one... oh well. May try again if I have time & stamina. I haven't seen any Grey Partridges, just Red-legged. And I've mistaken a Corn Bunting for a Quail...

Thanks Karl, I have only just noticed your reply. Well done.

Has any one see any quail over the week end??

I did have some sucess on Sunday as saw and heard the Otmoor marsh warbler despite pushing 3 year old twins in a buggy through the blazing heat

George

hello,

i went back last night, got there about 6ish and there were at least two singing intermittantly them at about 7.30 one just wandered out about 25 yards down the track and nonchelantly walked across from left to right and into the field on the right myself and four other lucky watchers got about 20 seconds of fantastic views before it disappeared as quicly as it arrived,

also saw the famed tailess corn \Bunting and 3 grey partridge

cheers karl

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back