• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Re Woodlarks at Kelling

I have been to Kelling Heath many times, usually to watch the D W's, but have never had any luck with Woodlark. I wonder if someone would be so kind as to PM me with site details. Thanks in anticipation, Graham

I think it is because the rent for the site has gone up alot

speculation ?

farmer seems alright to me

more likely to be due to Natural England making budget cuts. If you're NE, why pay for something you've got no control over ? Renting a car park so that birders can turn up and fail to see non-existent Honey Buzzards could be argued a waste of taxpayer's money. Not as big as the tens of billions wasted (not to mention lives lost) on a pointless unwinnable war in Afghanistan but that's not an argument the NE top brass are going to win against a government minister; even one as stupid as Jeremy Hunt

speculation ?

farmer seems alright to me

more likely to be due to Natural England making budget cuts. If you're NE, why pay for something you've got no control over ? Renting a car park so that birders can turn up and fail to see non-existent Honey Buzzards could be argued a waste of taxpayer's money. Not as big as the tens of billions wasted (not to mention lives lost) on a pointless unwinnable war in Afghanistan but that's not an argument the NE top brass are going to win against a government minister; even one as stupid as Jeremy Hunt

Agreed. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan make our leader's feel important and that the UK is a big world player. Raptor watchpoints do not fufil any of the above to our eton educated elite. Anyway the government is going to side with the songbird protection people and Raptors are going to culled! On that basis who needs watchpoints?

Today’s highlights

Temminck’s stint – 2 on fresh marsh early morning only
Spotted redshank – 23 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 4 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 45 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 57 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull – adult and 1st summer on fresh marsh
Black tern – 1 offshore
Spotted flycatcher – juv near visitor centre
Turtle dove - 2 over fresh marsh
Red kite - 1 over fields at Choseley mid-morning

Paul

Who pulled the plug ?

I’d been told about this, but today I saw it for the first time: the pool at Kelling Quags is almost dry. The stream needs to be diverted to refill it as soon as. We won’t have anywhere left to see waders, at this rate.

It’s a pity the Reed pictured is not rarer. In 2009, there was an Ortolan on almost the same spot on the East Bank, showing almost as well.

Attachments

• 021pse.jpg
    021pse.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 024PSE.jpg
    024PSE.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 013pse2.jpg
    013pse2.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 111
I’d been told about this, but today I saw it for the first time: the pool at Kelling Quags is almost dry. The stream needs to be diverted to refill it as soon as. We won’t have anywhere left to see waders, at this rate.

It’s a pity the Reed pictured is not rarer. In 2009, there was an Ortolan on almost the same spot on the East Bank, showing almost as well.

Terrible shame about the Quags, had one of my best connections here, White-Winged Black Tern a few years back.
Also had Green winged Teal there earlier this year land briefly before moving on.
Needs sorting asap.

Agreed. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan make our leader's feel important and that the UK is a big world player. Raptor watchpoints do not fufil any of the above to our eton educated elite. Anyway the government is going to side with the songbird protection people and Raptors are going to culled! On that basis who needs watchpoints?

Bit of a pessimistic outlook for the future of UK raptors!
To be honest why don't we look at the issues rather than try and change natural selection and predator and prey interactions.
So therefore lets actually cull all domestic cats and imprison anyone that cuts down a living tree or hedge at any time of year!
But of course that wouldn't solve the problem in the eyes of the ever righteous song bird fanciers, lets just mess with nature and shoot birds that need to eat to SURVIVE!
As you can tell its a passionate subject for me, its the actions of humans not predators which is the issue...as ever!

Being serious, we need to be very careful that habitat and wildlife protection legislation is not watered down by Westminster in an attempt to reduce red tape!! I have already heard rumours re chunks of the wildlife and countryside act being repealed. protect what has been hard fought for.

Bit of a pessimistic outlook for the future of UK raptors!
To be honest why don't we look at the issues rather than try and change natural selection and predator and prey interactions.
So therefore lets actually cull all domestic cats and imprison anyone that cuts down a living tree or hedge at any time of year!
But of course that wouldn't solve the problem in the eyes of the ever righteous song bird fanciers, lets just mess with nature and shoot birds that need to eat to SURVIVE!
As you can tell its a passionate subject for me, its the actions of humans not predators which is the issue...as ever!

I am off 2 snetisham this morn if interested

Being serious, we need to be very careful that habitat and wildlife protection legislation is not watered down by Westminster in an attempt to reduce red tape!! I have already heard rumours re chunks of the wildlife and countryside act being repealed. protect what has been hard fought for.

Exactly! One of my local patches has had its ownership and management transferred to another body, whoever that will be!
All in the name of budget cuts!
Its a wonderful site and its loss would have a wider effect for sure.
Ignorance to the importance of wildlife is unacceptable.

Can you enlighten us about this record ? I don't recall any records fo GW teal in the county this year ?

Was back in May. Bird came from a northerly direction, landed briefly on the north edge of the quag before moving on a few minutes later.
Right place at right time for me bu 100% gwt.
Did consider the possibility of captive origin? Although quite a few reports of them around the country in April/May this year so cant rule out a wild bird, didn't appear ringed.

Was back in May. Bird came from a northerly direction, landed briefly on the north edge of the quag before moving on a few minutes later.
Right place at right time for me bu 100% gwt.
Did consider the possibility of captive origin? Although quite a few reports of them around the country in April/May this year so cant rule out a wild bird, didn't appear ringed.

I look forward to seeing the record in the norfolk bird report.

Rob - isn't Ouse washes in cambridgeshire ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back