• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

life list using Microsoft Access (1 Viewer)

delliott

Does anybody have experience trying to create a life list using Microsoft Access? I was trying, but I don't think I know how to use the software.
David

Hi David, Firstly, welcome to BirdForum from all the staff here. Maybe you could introduce yourself in the "Say Hello" forum.

I have written my own listing system in Microsoft Access. Difficult to know where to tell you how to start. You need to get some practice with simple database design before you can start on this. If you have some more specific questions I wil try to answer them.

I would offer to send you mine but it is not in a state where I could do that and I am in the process of rewriting parts of it. Also at present it only handles Western Palearctic birds.

I believe there is an Access system that you can download off the internet but I can't remember where.

David,
There is an excellent one that one of the BF members did. His name is Jeff and you can download his program from his Brandonbird website.Here's the link: BrandonBirding

The only thing you would need to do is add the US bird list (I'd suggest the AOU list which you can download from their website). Then PM Jeff and ask how to upload that list into his software. I know he has said its fairly straightforward.

Dave B Smith said:
David,
There is an excellent one that one of the BF members did. His name is Jeff and you can download his program from his Brandonbird website.Here's the link: BrandonBirding
Thanks Dave, that is the one I was trying to think of.

Must have missed this thread.

Thanks for the compliments :)

I did import the AOU list for a couple of people, can't remember if you were one of them David, if not pm me and i'll mail it to you.

Cheers

Jeff

Hello all
Just downloaded the database and am now frantically inputting the data from my note books - will end up with a couple of years worth of records - excellent!!

My local 'patch' is similar to Jeff's - Brandon, Coombe abbey , draycote water etc - basically Warwickshire - but my wife has just organised a long weekend in Norfolk for my 40th Birthday - that should boost the list abit

thanks Jeff - excellent effort

Gaz

GAZ said:
Hello all
Just downloaded the database and am now frantically inputting the data from my note books - will end up with a couple of years worth of records - excellent!!

My local 'patch' is similar to Jeff's - Brandon, Coombe abbey , draycote water etc - basically Warwickshire - but my wife has just organised a long weekend in Norfolk for my 40th Birthday - that should boost the list abit

thanks Jeff - excellent effort

Gaz

Happy 40th (now life can begin :eek!: ) and enjoy your weekend in Norfolk.

Cheers

Jeff

Eliter7 said:
Anyone got a database that isnt Access format as i dont have that but would like to start recording etc.
Thanks
I wrote my own excel spreadsheet to record sightings. I print out a list to tick birds seen on when I'm out and fill in the spreadsheet when I get home. Saves the worry of taking all my notes out into the field and getting them wet, muddy, lost, etc. Works well for me and I modify it slightly as I decide I want more info in it etc. PM me if you want a copy of basic outline.
Jampots

Been using Jeffs Birding Database for a few months now and find it very good but it only sorts by Life List or site.

Can anyone advise how I can get it to sort out my entries into year seen, county, etc?

It's MS Access so I assume it should be doable, it's just I'm not very good with Access?

Thanks

Alan

Alan G said:
Been using Jeffs Birding Database for a few months now and find it very good but it only sorts by Life List or site.

Can anyone advise how I can get it to sort out my entries into year seen, county, etc?

It's MS Access so I assume it should be doable, it's just I'm not very good with Access?

Thanks

Alan
I'll have a look at the design (if it lets me) and let you know. I wrote my own in Access precisely so I could do complex reports on the database.

Alan:

I have had a look at the database and it is possible to write your own queries on the database. If you want to PM me with more sppecific requirements I should be able to help.

Alan G said:

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

It should do year lists as well.

As Robin as mentioned, the database is not locked down too much so you also have the option of creating your own queries etc.

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• year.jpg
    year.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 263
I like the look of that screenshot, Jeff.

How do I go about creating this for my own database?

Ideally, what I'm after is lifelist, yearlist (creatable by year), place list & county list (I'll need to create an extra column in the database to accept cuounty as this isn't currently recordable).

Currently, when I select a report (I can only select life & place at the minute) it lists every bird I've seen as well as the numbers seen ie: gadwall seen on 6 occasions, with a and each time listed and how many seen.

Although this is something I may find useful I'd really want it to ignore any recurrance of the bird (ie: only count each bird once) with the total number of species for that particular list.

I hope this makes sense?

Alan

Alan G said:
I like the look of that screenshot, Jeff.

How do I go about creating this for my own database?
If you are using Jeff's Birding Database this is the standard reports screen

Alan G said:
Ideally, what I'm after is lifelist, yearlist (creatable by year), place list & county list (I'll need to create an extra column in the database to accept cuounty as this isn't currently recordable).
County is recorded by the database against each site. But needs to be pulled from the database in a query.

Alan G said:
Currently, when I select a report (I can only select life & place at the minute) it lists every bird I've seen as well as the numbers seen ie: gadwall seen on 6 occasions, with a and each time listed and how many seen.

Although this is something I may find useful I'd really want it to ignore any recurrance of the bird (ie: only count each bird once) with the total number of species for that particular list.
Again this is just a matter of writing the right queries. I am not sure I want to post something like this is the Forum - better in a PM.

Alan,

This is the standard form in v3.0 of my database.

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/download.asp

Reports can be done with any combination of.......

You can do your reports by year (set start and end date)

County/Site (pick a county, you'd have set this on the location form)

Species/Keyword (select or leave as ALL)

Then set either brief or full report.

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back