• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (1 Viewer)

I've seen Silver, Elliott's and Koklass Pheasants within 30 minutes of each other at Guan Shan, which is the other side of Nanchang, so yes they can occur together!

Basically Silver gets about.

Cheers
Mike

I've seen Silver, Elliott's and Koklass Pheasants within 30 minutes of each other at Guan Shan, which is the other side of Nanchang, so yes they can occur together!

Basically Silver gets about.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. Hope yet for this site then ;)

Mark & I drove down to Wu Yuan last weekend (Friday thru Sunday) to find the Scaly Sided Mergansers. A thoroughly fine time was had with both the SSMs and Short-Tailed Parrotbills seen in good numbers.

Less luck with the chickens but we did find a confirmed (by Jonathan Martinez) Silver Pheasant feather and had tantalising views of what may have been something better still ... but nowhere near good enough to make any sort of call.

Since I'm busy packing for my flight to the UK/Spain tomorrow this is a necessarily shortened 'Trip Report' of sorts !

68-69 Species (averaged 46-47 per day).

Babbler, Red Capped
Blackbird, Eurasian
Brambling
Bulbul, Light-vented
Bulbul, Mountain
Bunting, Black Faced
Bunting, Elegant
Bunting, Yellow Browed
Buzzard, Common
Crake, Brown
Dove, Oriental Turtle
Dove, Spotted
Duck, Mandarin (not more than 2-3 per day)
Duck, Spot-Billed
Egret, Little
Finchbill, Collared
Forktail, White Crowned
Fulvetta, Huet's
Grebe, Little
Greenfinch, Oriental
Greenshank, Common
Grosbeak, Yellow Billed
Jay, Eurasian
Kingfisher, Common
Kingfisher, Crested
Kingfisher, Pied
Laughingthrush, Greater Necklaced (one flock of 40-50 birds on Day 1)
Laughingthrush, Masked
Magpie, Azure Winged
Magpie, Eurasian
Magpie, Red-billed Blue
Mallard
Merganser, Scaly Sided (14 on Day 1, 9 on Day 2, 5 ? on Day 3)
Minivet, Scarlet (inc. Flock 30-40)
Moorhen
Munia, Scaly Breasted
Munia, White Rumped
Myna, Crested
Parrotbill, Grey Headed ( 1 large flock of maybe 30-40 birds on Day 2)
Parrotbill, Short Tailed (3 x flocks of up to 20+)
Parrotbill, Vinous Throated
Pheasant (1xF 1xM assumed)
Pipit, Olive Backed
Pipit, Water
Prinia, Plain
Prinia, Yellow Bellied
Quail, Yellow-Legged Button (Mark saw the rear ends of 3 birds)
Red Flanked Bluetail
Redstart, Daurian
Redstart, Plumbeous
Sandpiper, Common
Scimitar-Babbler, Streak Breasted
Shrike, Long-tailed
Siskin (flock of 18 on Day 3)
Sparrow, Tree
Starling, Red Billed
Sunbird, Fork Tailed (1 male on Day 2)
Tern (spp.) (on the drive down)
Tit, Black-throated (multiple flocks, 2-5 per day)
Tit, Great (Southern)
Tit, Yellow Bellied (2 on Day 2)
Treepie, Grey (20+ flock)
Wagtail, Grey (1 on Day 3)
Wagtail, White
Warbler, Pallas' Leaf
Warbler, Claudia's Leaf (1 on Day 1)
Warbler, Rufous-faced
Warbler, Yellow Browed

Flycatcher / Robin (probalby RF Bluetail but TBC)

Waxwings at Century

The Japanese Waxwings are back in Shanghai.
Checked the 20 or so birds present, and no Bohemians mixed amongst them, but if it was only one or two birds, I could've missed them.

Has anyone seen Siskins and Hawfinch yet?

The Japanese Waxwings are back in Shanghai.
Checked the 20 or so birds present, and no Bohemians mixed amongst them, but if it was only one or two birds, I could've missed them.

Has anyone seen Siskins and Hawfinch yet?

Wow, great to have them back. Any slight teaser about where you saw them? Anders have seen a Japanese Waxwing last month(29 Nov) in Yangshan.
I did see a hawfinch and a small flock of Eurasin Siskin on 25th Dec @ Binjiang Forest Park.

Hi guys, nice to see this thread ticking over whilst I'm away enjoying the 16-20C of the Valencian winter ;)

Nice to hear of that stork Mark.

Dev - it was Century Park for the waxwings (in the post title). Look forward to us seeing them on XYS !

Cypselurus 92 : welcome to the China forum ! Hope to see more posts of your experiences here.

I picked up only 20 species in a 4 day visit to my parents in North Wales (Black Redstart, Willow Tit & Long Tailed Tits maybe the pick of those) but 3 mornings here in the Valencia area (inc. The Albufera) have seen my Spanish list get off to a 66 species start (best for me being Iberian Chifchaf, Blackcaps, Marbled Duck, Balearic Shearwater, Grey Iberian Shrike, Black Redstart, Crag Martin & Cetti's & Sardinian Warblers). We will drive up to Barcelona for 5 days from the 4th before heading back here to start our long trip back to Shangers.

Last edited:
First things first-
@thirudevaram: The Japanese Waxwings were at Century. The exact location at which I saw them was the area with tall trees between the lotus pond and a side of the 'Bird Island' area. The Waxwings were resting in a row of tall trees along the water's edge, but occasionally flew to the island to collect food from a large tree that bore dark berries. They weren't very timid, and tolerated my watching at the time, luckily. Apart from them, there weren't many birds of interest in the park at the time- just the regular Duskies, Turtledoves, and and such.
@Frogfish: Thank you! :) I've actually been reading your guys' posts for a while before finally deciding to join to post some time. You guys are amazing birders! Some great records and accounts, and that's not even mentioning the many superb photos.
I've actually yet to do a formal greeting, apologies for that ^^...
So hello! I'm a (relatively) young birder (14), though I don't know how I stand in comparison to other birders here in Shanghai..there could be younger? I'm not sure. There certainly seemed to be a lot more younger back in Canada. I've birded in China for somewhere around 3 years now, and have stepped into North America as well. I've accumulated a total list of (currently) 350+ species, last I remembered. Some of the more interesting records I've gotten here in Shanghai were a Speckled Piculet in Gongqing Forest Park, and a Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher in my compound- a large, robust, and pretty timid bird with a sore throat grate-call. I hope to contribute somewhat to this community with a record here and there at some point :)
Hope you guys have a fantastic New Year!

Last edited:
Welcome Cypselurus! I envy you your waxwings - a major rarity down here in Hong Kong.

Kevin - did you really have a Blackstart in Wales? If so it would be a first for the UK and huge news, or was it an abbreviated Black Redstart?

Cheers
Mike

Kevin - did you really have a Blackstart in Wales? If so it would be a first for the UK and huge news, or was it an abbreviated Black Redstart?

Cheers
Mike

I know where my money's goin' Mike ;0)

Dev - you and Anders free on 11th?

Happy thingy all...
MM

Thanks for the welcome MKinHK!
HK has just as many beautiful birds as Shanghai- probably more! I haven't visited there often, but I saw a Yellow-cheeked Tit and a Verditier Flycatcher at Tai Po Kau (not sure if that's how you spell it.. ^^"). Both were beautiful birds.

Also, @Shanghai birders,
Do any of you folks happen to know which of the Shanghai Zoo's swan lake birds are wild?

Hi guys, nice to see this thread ticking over whilst I'm away enjoying the 16-20C of the Valencian winter ;)

Dev - it was Century Park for the waxwings (in the post title). Look forward to us seeing them on XYS !

Doh! Missed that. Go for the football game Kevin. Hang up the gear for a while which is why it's called vacation. 8-P

Some of the more interesting records I've gotten here in Shanghai were a Speckled Piculet in Gongqing Forest Park, and a White-throated Jungle Flycatcher in my compound- a large, robust, and pretty timid bird with a sore throat grate-call. I hope to contribute somewhat to this community with a record here and there at some point :)
Hope you guys have a fantastic New Year!

Firstclass, i used to live near century park and i birded there more than a year. Waxwings are classic example for not to give up on the park. I could not agree more, birding in Century Park would be little slow when the winter is settled down. You have bagged some monster birds, Speckled Piculet is fantastic. As far as i know White-throated(Negros) Jungle Flycatcher is a Philippine endemic.The close possibility is Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher which is a summer visitor(By the way, i wouldn't mind twitching it in your compound to add one to my Shanghai list).

Keep em coming and Happy new year! o:Do:Do:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome MKinHK!
Also, @Shanghai birders,
Do any of you folks happen to know which of the Shanghai Zoo's swan lake birds are wild?

(Wild) guess none. Tht also applies for the pelicans. In Nanhui zoo, you can find Tufted ducks and Eurasian Teals(wild) mixed with the zoo waterfowl.

Last edited:
Firstclass, i used to live near century park and i birded there more than a year. Waxwings are classic example for not to give up on the park. I could not agree more, birding in Century Park would be little slow when the winter is settled down. You have bagged some monster birds, Speckled Piculet is fantastic. As far as i know White-throated(Negros) Jungle Flycatcher is a Philippine endemic.The close possibility is Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher which is a summer visitor(By the way, i wouldn't mind twitching it in your compound to add one to my Shanghai list).

Keep em coming and Happy new year! o:Do:Do:D

I've honestly never been to the park that often, even though its right next to me! I definitely intend to change that this year. It's chock-full of good migrants, and there have been fantastic records there- stuff like Gray's Grasshopper Warbler, for example.
Speckled Piculet was definitely an unexpected and very much appreciated bird. For probably more than 20 seconds, I was staring blankly at this tiny hopping imp in the bushes and silently reminding myself this was not possible ...luckily, a nice old bird photographer nearby shot some good captures of the little guy, and the record was accepted by the guys at SHWBS.
Ah yes ^^ My apologies, I changed that just now. Thanks for the heads-up!
Happy New Year to you too!

Last edited:
Welcome Cypselurus! I envy you your waxwings - a major rarity down here in Hong Kong.

Cheers
Mike

Black REDstart ! Sorry, I was looking at my list on the iPad and trying to remember them as I then wrote them down in the post above *sheepish grin* :king:

Post above edited in case I give anyone else palpitations !

Hey guys :) Heads-up to anyone who's in Shanghai-
If there's anyone who wants to tick this species off their Shanghai list, there is a pair of European Starlings in the Shanghai Wild Animal Park, mixed in with the some 150+-strong flock of White-cheeked Starlings. They can be seen near the Asian Elephant outdoor area.

Home again in Shangers and trying to settle back in (tough, when you've been enjoying mid-teens to 20C in Dec/Jan).

Dev. made it easier as we swung back into a typical Shanghai birder's weekend (shoot one day and try and process the shots the next) !

Following on Dev.'s previous weekend success on Chong Ming Island (and in the hope of scrounging some of his wife's cooked goodies - success on that front with Red Bean dumplings) we arranged to get out there and see what else we could snag. The plan was Chongming Island, Hengsha Island, Pudong Airport and Nanhui Holiday Inn Carpark & lake. In the end we managed #1 and #3 due to the time we spent on Chong Ming !

So having 'borrowed' (as in 'pinched' the keys to) my wife's car with it's slightly higher ground clearance we slithered, scrapped and skidded our way down the mud track to site #1 where we hit upon overflying Common Cranes and a large (50+) flock of Hooded Cranes on the deck.

Using Dev.'s inbuilt GPS system (his memory) we hit site after site until we had exhausted the recall function of all his grey cells. The highlights being 4 raptors in one morning (in order; Common Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Osprey & Eastern March Harrier). The best of those sightings being the Peregrine dashing back and forth trying to chase down anything in sight, a poor Gull twisting and turning and screeching it's head off, being one target.

The Osprey then spent 30 mins in close proximity taking it's time and using much energy, with Dev and I freezing our bxxxs off in the cold biting wind, before finally making a successful dive into the frigid waters of the lake. Great action shots though !

As time was marching on we decided to skip Hengsha Island though and head for the airport site, some geese in the distance, a couple of Dunlins and 36 swans was about our lot though. With 1.5 hrs to sunset and 45 mins to drive to the Holiday Inn at Nanhui we both, having had a couple of hours sleep apiece the night before, decided to call it a day and drive home in daylight ... since I could barely keep my eyes open and the car in a straight line !

Home again in Shangers and trying to settle back in (tough, when you've been enjoying mid-teens to 20C in Dec/Jan).

Dev. made it easier as we swung back into a typical Shanghai birder's weekend (shoot one day and try and process the shots the next) !

Following on Dev.'s previous weekend success on Chong Ming Island (and in the hope of scrounging some of his wife's cooked goodies - success on that front with Red Bean dumplings) we arranged to get out there and see what else we could snag. The plan was Chongming Island, Hengsha Island, Pudong Airport and Nanhui Holiday Inn Carpark & lake. In the end we managed #1 and #3 due to the time we spent on Chong Ming !

So having 'borrowed' (as in 'pinched' the keys to) my wife's car with it's slightly higher ground clearance we slithered, scrapped and skidded our way down the mud track to site #1 where we hit upon overflying Common Cranes and a large (50+) flock of Hooded Cranes on the deck.

Using Dev.'s inbuilt GPS system (his memory) we hit site after site until we had exhausted the recall function of all his grey cells. The highlights being 4 raptors in one morning (in order; Common Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Osprey & Eastern Marsh Harrier). The best of those sightings being the Peregrine dashing back and forth looking to chase down anything in sight, which wasn't a lot, though a poor Gull ended up twisting, turning and screeching it's head off, being one available target.

The Osprey then spent 30 mins in close proximity taking it's time and using much energy, with Dev and I freezing our bxxxs off in the cold biting wind, before finally making a successful dive into the frigid waters of the lake. Great action shots though !

As time was marching on we decided to skip Hengsha Island though and head for the airport site, some geese in the distance, a couple of Dunlins and 36 swans was about our lot though. With 1.5 hrs to sunset and 45 mins to drive to the Holiday Inn at Nanhui we both, having had a couple of hours sleep apiece the night before, decided to call it a day and drive home in daylight ... since I could barely keep my eyes open and the car in a straight line !

Chong Ming Island (37 species + 2 species Pudong)

Bunting, Black Faced (<10)
Bunting, Chestnut Eared (1)
Bunting, Pallas' Reed
Cormorant, Great (2)
Crane, Common (small flock in flight)
Crane, Hooded (large flock)
Duck, Spotbilled (500+)
Dunlin (2)
Egret, Little (50+)
Falcon, Peregrine (1)
Goose, (spp) (small flock, distant)
Grebe, Little (<200)
Greenshank, Common (1)
Gull, Caspian
Gull, Mongolian / Vega
Harrier, Marsh Eastern (1)
Heron, Grey (<20)
Kestrel, Common (1)
Magpie, Eurasian (<30)
Mallard (<100)
Parrotbill, Reed (>10)
Parrotbill, Vinous Throated (>25)
Pheasant, Ring-Necked (2 females)
Pipit, Buff-Bellied (2)
Pipit, Olive Backed
Pochard, Common,
Prinia, Plain (15+)
Redshank, Spotted (numerous)
Redstart, Daurian (10+)
Sandpiper, Common
Shrike, Long Tailed (<100)
Sparrow, Tree (500+)
Spoonbill, Eurasian (1)
Starling, White Cheeked (10+)
Swan, Bewick (36)
Teal, Common
Thrush, Dusky (1)
Tit, Chinese Penduline (25+)
Tit, Japanese

The first shots I've processed are below - more to come.

Attachments

• Osprey%20-%20Chongming%20%232-XL.jpg
    Osprey%20-%20Chongming%20%232-XL.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Peregrine%20-%20Chongming%20%231-X2.jpg
    Peregrine%20-%20Chongming%20%231-X2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back