• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More SE Asian birds (1 Viewer)

Dave B

Here's five I salvaged from my rejects. Reckon they're all identifiable, but then I know what they are!

Have fun,

Dave

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 157
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 145
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 138
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 145
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 150
Some tricky ones here Dave, I'll plump for -

1, Plain Sunbird, or another guess would be female Copper-throated Sunbird, having said that, as I can't see the bill, it probably isn't even a sunbird! Maybe a Golden-bellied Gerygone? Difficult one.
2, Whiskered Tern
3, Rufous-necked Stint (photo isn't big enough to see the other bird)
4, Rufescent Prinia
5, Rufous-tailed Tailorbird

1. Your third guess is the right one James - Gerygone it is.
2. Correct
3. Correct, but I actually meant the rear bird. It's severely cropped, but I'll try to blow it up. Not sure if this is an improvement or not.
4. Correct again.
5. Oh no - just over the bar!

James Eaton said:
Some tricky ones here Dave, I'll plump for -

1, Plain Sunbird, or another guess would be female Copper-throated Sunbird, having said that, as I can't see the bill, it probably isn't even a sunbird! Maybe a Golden-bellied Gerygone? Difficult one.
2, Whiskered Tern
3, Rufous-necked Stint (photo isn't big enough to see the other bird)
4, Rufescent Prinia
5, Rufous-tailed Tailorbird

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Is 5 a Common Tailorbird then, second guess would be Dark-necked Tailorbird? I noticed afterwards the rufous doesn't extend below the eye.

Unsure with the white bird, as it shows a dusky nape, but the only bird I can think of is maybe Gull-billed Tern, I would say its too small for a Caspian. The bird doesn't seem toshow black primaries, so that rules out any asian gulls. Don't know! I think you'll have to give us more of a clue.

Some good quiz photos here, bring them on!

James Eaton said:
Is 5 a Common Tailorbird then, second guess would be Dark-necked Tailorbird? I noticed afterwards the rufous doesn't extend below the eye.

Unsure with the white bird, as it shows a dusky nape, but the only bird I can think of is maybe Gull-billed Tern, I would say its too small for a Caspian. The bird doesn't seem toshow black primaries, so that rules out any asian gulls. Don't know! I think you'll have to give us more of a clue.

Some good quiz photos here, bring them on!

Scored on the rebound James - Common Tailorbird it is, and you are right too with the tern - Gull-billed.

I shall have to see if I have anything a little more challenging for you!

Cheers for now,

Dave

OK here are some more.

Again, all photographed in SE Asia. See how you get on! Any challengers to James?

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 109
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 126
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 136
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 138
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 121
mmm, a little more difficult!

Here goes.....

1, Orange-backed Woodpecker (my bogey bird!)
2, Phylloscopus species. Maybe Blyth's Leaf Warbler or Eastern Crowned, judging by the undertail coverts and pale lower mandible
3, Wire-tailed Swallow? Though i presume if it was taken in Malaysia it could be Red-rumped Swallow instead? Difficult.
4, Ruby-cheeked Sunbird
5, Yellow Wagtail

All the best

James

James Eaton said:
mmm, a little more difficult!

Here goes.....

1, Orange-backed Woodpecker (my bogey bird!)
2, Phylloscopus species. Maybe Blyth's Leaf Warbler or Eastern Crowned, judging by the undertail coverts and pale lower mandible
3, Wire-tailed Swallow? Though i presume if it was taken in Malaysia it could be Red-rumped Swallow instead? Difficult.
4, Ruby-cheeked Sunbird
5, Yellow Wagtail

All the best

James

Wow! Good stuff James.

1. Correct
2. Yes - Eastern Crowned
3. Correct - Wire-tailed Swallow (taken in northern Thailand)
4. Correct
5. Correct

I'm sure you must some good mystery pics from all your Asian travels. How about letting us see some?

Hi Dave,

I've got hundreds of dodgy mystery bird pics from my travels! I'll have a search through once I get the chance and see what I can come up with. Reckon they'll be some good ones somewhere.

cheers,

James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back