• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Mystery grey shrike on the isle of Man" (1 Viewer)

The problem with overlapping text on pictures is however due to differences between IE and NS, and the use of Frontpage as the layout manger,

jeff said:
Edward,

You need to maximise your browser window.

Thanks Jeff, although as a computer illiterate I haven't the faintest idea how to do that. But I thought the problem must be at my end seeing as no-one else had complained!

E

Net it..?

Fascinating & passionate debate!
The handbags at 5 paces stuff is to my mind, fine as long as it doesn't turn, solely to personal abuse.
Everyones going to a have different interpretation of what they've seen or read.

Personally i'd be happy to say i'd seen a " great Shrike ", reguardless of which country it happened to Lose its way from.

From my primitive viewpoint,
If its so important to ID the bird, & if after a length of time (like now) a 100% ID cannot be made......... its Surely just a simple case of trapping the bird in a ringers mist net......

This will 'sort it' without dispute, & save people having to await the later decision of a commitee.

Or, is this considered 'not fair play..?'
Stevie E.

Jeff,

Oh you mean that! You were using far too technical language for me! LOL. Thanks for that. Didn't work though.... still can't see the pictures for captions.

E

Stevie,
my understanding is that the ringers would have to apply to the BOU for a permit to trap a specific bird and show the need to do so (which, I believe, wouldn't actually be a problem given the gains to be had in confirming it's i.d. and the help with future grey shrikes). However, because of the type of habitat that the bird is in, mist-netting wouldn't be an option and this leaves just 'spring traps' as the method to be used. I believe the 'spring-traps' currently available on the island are too small and likely to cause damage to the bird. So that is the reason (or so I am led to believe) why the trapping of the bird has not been pursued to date.

I see Bird News Extra are calling it a Southern Grey Shrike (meridionalis) tonight. I know that pallidirostris is one of the eastern races of the meridionalis group, but has there been second thoughts on the ID or have the people who run the website made a mistake?

Darrell

Hi Darrell,

They're only giving it as the species as a whole, not specifically the nominate race meridionalis. Presumably in view of the doubt as to exactly which race it is.

Michael

Ah but Steppe Grey doesn't have a link to one of their pay-per-view video library clips, Southern Grey does - so they get more income if they call it Southern Grey ;)

Michael

Very cynical Michael. They're reporting it as Southern Grey Shrike because that's how I reported it to them. I think it's a safer bet to report the species rather than claim it to be Steppe Grey Shrike (Lanius meridionalis pallidirostris) when there is still doubt over it's racial identity (even though my preference is for palldirostris).

FYI, there isn't a pay-per-view video library clip of Southern Grey Shrike on Birdguides - it's just Michael and his 'Fat Cat paranoia' ;)

Hi CJ,

I did once try clicking on one of the bird names to see what I got, and got a message to say that I hadn't subscribed to be able to view the videos.

Michael

Yes, there are some 'pay-per-view video clips', but not of the shrike. I certainly don't blame them for charging to see any video footage they have - they have to make a living and let's be honest they do have an excellent website well worthy of any subscription fees.

Most videos are available for download on payment of a subscription depending on how many videos you think you may download (Gold, Silver and Bronze subscription), but there are some videos available as a free download.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back