• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egypt, Nile Valley help please - No. 2 (1 Viewer)

Mr Patience

Just got back from cruise on the Nile. Lovely place. I'm not so good on terns etc., so I need help with some of the more distant sightings, please.

These may all be the same species of tern. I can be more specific about the location if needed, but all sightings were between Luxor and Abu Simbel.

I'v got quite a few so I'll do them in lots. Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1931 crop.jpg
    IMG_1931 crop.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2929 crop.jpg
    IMG_2929 crop.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3074 crop.jpg
    IMG_3074 crop.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 109
I was about to say the same, Neil, how about all 3 G-bs? Though it looks small-billed there's little else that would fit.

All 3 are G B terns, I reckon. Think pic 3 has bird with slightly turned head, therefore obscuring proper bill shape.
regards,
Jono

Not sure on 3 but doesn't look right for GB - wings/tail too long, no wedge in wing...not seen a GB acquiring cap like that with a white forehead...more reminiscent of Common/Arctic/Roseate types....White-cheeked even

Thanks, guys. This is another photo of the same bird No 3. I agree that wings look long and plain. Could be common tern.

Attachments

• IMG_3075 crop.jpg
    IMG_3075 crop.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back