• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying nocturnal bird. (1 Viewer)

BirdFur

My husband and I have been hearing this bird for 4 years. Some facts:

We live in the West San Fernando Valley, about a mile from the Chatsworth Reservoir. We also live about a half mile to the west, and quarter mile to the east from outlets to the LA River. The Santa Susanna mts are about 3 miles to the north. The Santa Monica mts(Topanga Canyon) are about 5 miles to the south.

We take nightly walks after dinner around an elementary school. This is usually the only place we hear this bird-inside the fence of the school. We also heard this bird at the last house we lived. Inside the fence of a school, at night.

By "at night" I mean from at dusk to 10pm. We walk anywhere in that time frame.

It's not a tree frog or an insect. We heard it call, then we heard it several trees away very shortly after that.

I have listened to the calls of every nocturnal bird that could possibly be in Southern California, and it sounds like none of them. I have wondered if it's a different call of a Barn Owl, because we hear those all the time around our house and the school. And, because there are lots of yummy rat snacks around the school dumpsters.

We call it the "peepee bird", because it's call is a higher, short, "peepeep".

THANK YOU, in advance....

Barn Owls make twittering noises when flying high overhead along with their assortment of snores and screams. A sample of that sound is here. A begging Great Horned Owls makes a weird noise like the "noctural shriek" here.

Sorry it took so long to get back. My husband and I actually saw the bird for the first time in all these years. It is, as I first suspected, a Barn Owl. The other day we saw it with two chicks.

They are HUGE! I knew they were big, but wow. We were about 10 yards away from it, and with it's wings spread it was as big as our Border Collie in length.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back