Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 29th September 2017, 13:38   #26
birdmeister

I watched from my house for a little over 30 minutes this morning.

Definitely a change in species migrating!

Highlights/migrants included Canada Goose (79), Blue Jay (12), and Yellow-rumped Warbler (1-2). Also 2 probable warbler sp heard only, as well as a possible Ruby-crowned Kinglet heard only.

An Indigo Bunting was seen a bit later on.

Last edited by birdmeister : Friday 29th September 2017 at 15:13. Reason: Add Indigo Bunting
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 21:47   #27
birdmeister

Migrants/highlights seen at various points throughout the day (mostly afternoon) include Canada Goose (70+), Red-shouldered Hawk (1), Osprey (1), Cooper's Hawk (1), and Peregrine Falcon (fewer than five records from the yard, an immature circling right overhead, by far my best view from the yard!).

Monarch butterflies (18+) were also migrating.
Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 01:58   #28
birdmeister

The radar is looking decent tonight.

Because of that, I decided to take my spotting scope out and see if I could see any birds fly by the Moon (only just larger than a half Moon right now). I also listened for any nocturnal migrants. My approximate totals are below.

SEEN: 3 possible Blue Jays (have to research and see if they are nocturnal migrants!), 1 possible Indigo Bunting, 1 probable Bobolink, and a couple mystery birds/bats.

HEARD (number of calls, not necessarily number of birds): Swainson's Thrush (4-6), sparrow sp (possible, 1-2), and warbler sp (10+, more clear calls than buzzy calls).
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 22:01   #29
birdmeister

I stopped at my local reservoir yesterday to see if there were finally some mudflats. There were, but now it's too late for high numbers of shorebirds! Oh well...

It was fairly quiet, with a few highlights/migrants: Gadwall (2), American Black Duck (7+), Great Egret (1), Killdeer (8), Lesser Yellowlegs (7), and Barn Swallow (2, flagged on eBird as late).

I've included a few rather poor pictures of the yellowlegs. The pictures were digiscoped through my phone. I think they would have been better had I brought my usual digiscoping camera.

The weather forecast does not look good, at least for the near future. Winds are forecast to have a southerly component for at least the next few days, with a few days of rain after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowlegs1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	553.2 KB
ID:	642075  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowlegs2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	642076  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowlegs6.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	642077  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowlegs3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	642078  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowlegs4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	642079  

Old Friday 6th October 2017, 13:57   #30
birdmeister

This morning's flight was better than I expected. I thought there would be hardly anything, but it turns out that some birds were moving on W/SW winds.

Migrants/highlights observed from the house include Red-shouldered Hawk (1 probable), Blue Jay (21), American Robin (probably 5+, hard to tell how many actually migrating), warbler sp (9), Eastern Bluebird (4), Yellow-rumped Warbler (2), Swamp/Lincoln's Sparrow (1), and White-throated Sparrow (2, first of fall for me!).
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 14:01   #31
birdmeister

I watched again from my house this morning and had quite a decent list.

Highlights/migrants included Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1, first of season), Blue Jay (at least 4 migrating), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Eastern Bluebird (4+, maybe same group as yesterday?), American Robin (increase in numbers, many heading north though), warbler sp (4+), White-throated Sparrow (1), sparrow sp (3), Red-winged Blackbird (3), and blackbird sp (70 or so).

By far the highlight was a single Vesper Sparrow, certainly unexpected in such a small habitat patch and only my third ever!
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 18:48   #32
birdmeister

A few more birds noted during late morning.

Highlights/migrants included falcon sp (1, likely Am. Kestrel), Blue Jay (5+), and Turkey Vulture (17 likely migrating).
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 21:03   #33
birdmeister

I did not expect much at all today, with strong winds with a S component and rain showers. However, while out and about, I saw 3 warbler sp and pished in singles of Black-throated Green Warbler and American Redstart. Views of both within 15 ft!
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 00:38   #34
birdmeister

Today the remnants of storm Nate came through from mid-morning through a good part of the afternoon, with a strong wind out of the SW.

I went to my local reservoir briefly to see if I could find any hurricane birds, but no luck there. Highlights were two Cape May/Yellow-rumped Warblers.

It was understandably very quiet until just before dinner, when I spotted a Swainson's Thrush across the street. This was my first sight record of Swainson's Thrush seen from the yard in my 10 or so years living and birding here! I usually hear them overhead at night.

The winds (and therefore migration activity on radar) are still not very good, but the SW winds are supposed to die down tonight giving way to light NW winds tomorrow. As a result, I'm not sure if it will be good late tonight, but tomorrow night should be good.

We'll see what happens.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 14:28   #35
birdmeister

This morning's migration watch from the yard was productive enough, with a fair number of migrants.

Highlights/migrants included Blue Jay (21, over half of which were migrating), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Eastern Bluebird (2), American Robin (10+, probably a lot more), Cedar Waxwing (18), Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), warbler sp (1), Red-winged Blackbird (4), and blackbird sp (estimated 90).

Before sunrise I heard 10+ Swainson's Thrush calls.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 21:02   #36
birdmeister

I was able to stop at my local reservoir this afternoon, mainly to look for shorebirds. While I saw zero shorebirds (mudflats got covered again by recent rains!), I was happy to see that the ducks are back!

Highlights/migrants included Northern Shoveler (12), Gadwall (10), Green-winged Teal (5), Ruddy Duck (1), and Common Yellowthroat (1, possibly local?).

Pictures to follow, digiscoped with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RuddyDuck1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	642643  Click image for larger version

Name:	RuddyDuck.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	642644  Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoveler1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	642645  Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoveler.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	642646  Click image for larger version

Name:	Gadwall1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	642647  

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 21:03   #37
birdmeister

More pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gadwall.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	642648  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	665.1 KB
ID:	642649  
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 01:30   #38
birdmeister

The radar is excellent tonight! I am posting a picture as of 8:48 PM EST of the Eastern half of the country.

Then I will go out and listen!

NOTE: In the picture, the green area with significant yellow in Ohio and West Virginia is rain, not birds. The same goes for the small red areas in the Southeast. The rest is pretty much birds!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oct10Radar.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	642665  
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 13:21   #39
birdmeister

The night listening session was fairly good (though disrupted by an enthusiastic Fall Field Cricket!).

Here are my numbers (number of calls, not necessarily number of birds): Canada Goose (1 flock heard), Swainson's Thrush (3+), and passerine sp (11+, I suspect a mix of warblers and sparrows).

My morning watch was surprisingly cloudy and even had a few sprinkles, but birds were still flying.

Migrants/highlights included Canada Goose (43, only 26 heading S), Northern Harrier (1), American Robin (67, hard to count), Cedar Waxwing (1), warbler sp (22), Brown-headed Cowbird (16, close count), and blackbird sp (65, estimate).
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 15:54   #40
birdmeister

Usually, the early morning's bird action far eclipses the rest of the day. Today, that was not so!

I watched for a little over an hour during mid-morning, and major migration was underway. Highlights/migrants included Canada Goose (estimated 440), American Robin (47, stopped counting when many came back), warbler sp (I suspect 10+, moving in different directions), duck sp (1), raptor sp (1), Northern Harrier (1), Cooper's Hawk (1), Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk (2), falcon sp (2), American Kestrel (1), and American Goldfinch (30+).

Also very impressive were 63+ Monarch butterflies, passing at the rate of about 1 per minute!

Hopefully I will have another update before day's end.
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 22:00   #41
birdmeister

Here is the update!

Unfortunately I lost my records from the midday watch, but it was impressive. A couple/few hundred Canada Geese, more Monarch butterflies, and about 15-20 raptors, including Accipiters, a late Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrels, and falcon sp.

My afternoon watch was good, too. No raptors this time, though.

Migrants/highlights included Canada Goose (estimated 305), Snow Goose (1, first of fall!), blackbird sp (7), and warbler sp (unknown number, small groups and singles headed in all directions).

More Monarch butterflies were seen, too (22).

All in all, a solid day of migration!
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 19:16   #42
birdmeister

Currently there are warm temperatures and very little wind.

While in New York yesterday, I stopped and birded for a bit in a public wooded area. It was quite pleasant, with some migrants around and a cool breeze. Migrants/highlights included Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2+), Golden-crowned Kinglet (5+), Gray Catbird (1), and Yellow-rumped Warbler (3+).

I was surprised this morning when, among 4+ Song Sparrows in two brush piles across the street, I saw a Lincoln's Sparrow. It represents only my third one ever seen, and a first for this location. Probably the highlight of today!

Fairly strong S winds are forecast through tomorrow night. However, sometime early Monday morning the wind is forecast to switch to strong NW as a cold front moves through. We'll see what it brings, but it sounds good.
Old Tuesday 17th October 2017, 00:59   #43
birdmeister

A Big Day At Hawk Mountain

I decided to put off other things and head to Hawk Mountain for the day, as a cold front just moved through early this morning.

As predicted, songbird movement was very light (single-digit warblers, Yellow-rumped and otherwise) since the front didn't pass until after most nocturnal migrants have put down.

However, the songbirds' absence was more than made up for by the raptors' abundance! Here are the official numbers, almost all of which I saw:

Turkey Vulture (33), Osprey (5), Bald Eagle (24), Northern Harrier (2), Sharp-shinned Hawk (263), Cooper's Hawk (67), Accipiter sp (19), Red-shouldered Hawk (3), Red-tailed Hawk (27), Golden Eagle (1, bird of the day for me and my first of the year!), American Kestrel (15), Merlin (8), Peregrine Falcon (1), falcon sp (3), and raptor sp (4). A fantastic day for sure!

Also of note were 104 Monarch butterflies and about 3,955 Canada Geese.
Old Yesterday, 00:22   #44
birdmeister

The sparrows are here! I looked at the two brush piles across the street this morning and there had to be close to 10 each of Song and White-throated Sparrows. Of course, there was a hidden surprise too. A Swamp Sparrow showed briefly, my first one seen from the yard and a bird I don't often see!

Other migrants included a few American Robins, several Yellow-rumped Warblers, and two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: