Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 19:00   #1
JTweedie

H is for Hawk: A New Chapter

Natural World programme about Helen Macdonald and goshawks, a follow up to her superb book H is for Hawk. On BBC2 on 19 October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09b68wy
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 19:45   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Cheers John.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 21:07   #3
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTweedie View Post
Natural World programme about Helen Macdonald and goshawks, a follow up to her superb book H is for Hawk. On BBC2 on 19 October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09b68wy
Agreed, a wonderful book which gave me great comfort when I was struggling with grief a few years ago. Don’t know if the program will be viewable on this side of the pond or not; hope so.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 07:48   #4
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher

Looks interesting

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th October 2017, 22:35   #5
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Before I say anything else, let me be clear that, in my opinion, Helen MacDonald has a great knowledge of nature and an active interest in nature conservation. I have heard her speak and I own a signed copy of her book. However, there were two things in this programme that I was concerned about.

Firstly, in Helen’s spell watching ‘free’ Goshawks, she repeated a couple of times statements that, to a very large extent, Goshawks in the wild today in Britain are a result or a by-product of ‘falconry’. “Buy one, set one free” was one comment she made. Though there may be some truth in this, I think it wrong to infer that falconry is a necessary and sufficient cause for the re-establishment of a bird of prey. Think Red Kite. Think White-tailed Sea Eagle. Her statements appeared as an attempt to defend falconry and to help secure her place her within the realm of ‘nature writers’.

Secondly, it concerns me that the programme made falconry/hawk-rearing seem very rewarding and quite wonderful. Her experiences with her previous Goshawk (Mabel) featured in her book and, to a large extent, the narrative was of a ‘nature cure’. Her second Goshawk (Lupin) featured in this TV programme and this time the narrative was more of wonder, and reward, and joy. If an unintended consequences of these narratives is to convince others (however naively) that acquiring and attempting to raise a Goshawk would be a good idea – either for a ‘nature cure’ or for wonderful enjoyment – then there are problems. If the activity gains popularity, there will, amongst other things, be problems of sourcing. Yes, the activity is licensed, but if there is a demand, illegal sources and trades will emerge, or there will be nest-raiding. Keeping a Goshawk (or any other bird of prey) is unsustainable as a ‘popular’ legal and harmless activity. I think it would be more than helpful if programmes such as this provided more by way of responsible contextualisation.

Stewart
Old Saturday 21st October 2017, 01:53   #6
SanAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shin View Post
Firstly, in Helen’s spell watching ‘free’ Goshawks, she repeated a couple of times statements that, to a very large extent, Goshawks in the wild today in Britain are a result or a by-product of ‘falconry’. “Buy one, set one free” was one comment she made.
That jumped right out at me too. She made that claim early on in the 60 minute program. Not begrudging her grief, her search for meaning continued on from there. Emoting was the underline theme that seem to take up most of those 60 minutes, a cathartic cleansing so to speak. IMO.
Old Tuesday 24th October 2017, 22:21   #7
Farnboro John

Just like to point out that someone with a Goshawk isn't a falconer. They are an austringer. If that matters....

After I read the blurb on the programme I decided that I didn't want to give it legitimacy by watching it.

John
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 21:43   #8
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Just like to point out that someone with a Goshawk isn't a falconer. They are an austringer. If that matters....

After I read the blurb on the programme I decided that I didn't want to give it legitimacy by watching it.

John
Thanks for correction John. I'd forgotten the correct term - probably because falconry and austringy (spelling?) are activities I have huge misgivings about and wouldn't partake in myself. I think that I was aware of my ignorance of terminology, so hedged my bets with inverted commas and words like "/ hawk- rearing". Anyway, I feel my comments (about the programme and the activity - not Helen MacDonald personally) still apply.

Stewart
Old Friday 27th October 2017, 07:31   #9
hampers
Hampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post

John
Glad it wasn't just me!

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: