Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 16:57   #1
paulsalmon

Filthy Skua stay on case..

My Skua case is filthy from mud and daily use, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to clean it? I know it's waterproof, but would it shrink at all if hand washed in the sink with a small amount of detergent? Air dry.
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 18:32   #2
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalmon View Post
My Skua case is filthy from mud and daily use, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to clean it? I know it's waterproof, but would it shrink at all if hand washed in the sink with a small amount of detergent? Air dry.
I just put mine in the washing machine on 30`, no need for detergent if it's just mud and daily grime and I'm sure they're synthetic so won't shrink.

A
Old Friday 13th October 2017, 09:48   #3
dogbreath

You could use a "technical wash" product such as 'Techwash' made by Nikwax. This sort of thing is used on outdoor jackets and outdoor garments and contains no detergents. Readily available in outdoor shops. Then when it is clean you could use something like 'TX Direct' to waterproopf the case. I see Blacks do a twin pack with both products for 8.00.
Old Friday 13th October 2017, 16:57   #4
cefnlad

Lux flakes.
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 17:49   #5
paddy7

last time i washed mine, i just used a little hand-wash detergent in the sink, then sprayed it when dry with the stuff i spray on a soft-shell jacket. Whether that did any good i don't know, but it didn't seem to do any harm! Still a better case than the Swaro one.
Old Saturday 14th October 2017, 22:04   #6
Bryon Wright

Hi all,
I have had this problem with mould forming. Good advice from Andy and et al. The important thing though is to ensure the casing is really bone dry throughout after treatment, otherwise you are wrapping your scope in a spore inducing shroud. Cheap supermarket gentlewash and suede protector spray will perform just as good as the expensive stuff IMO because I am not absolutely sure if repeated washings will remove the original waterproofing finish.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: