Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 6th April 2004, 16:54   #1
seb_seb

What was it? Martin? Swallow? Mute swan? lol

During a period of prolonged rain, a bird turned up in my garden that quite puzzled me. It was quite dark and overcast at the time, but i noticed a medium sized bird darting around my garden and the neighbours. The only features i can remember was a constant flashing between black and white on the body, a random non perching flight and a loud noise, sounding a bit like a a glass being hit with a spoon.
Old Tuesday 6th April 2004, 17:39   #2
rogerk
That's a, I say that's a chicken, boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb_seb
During a period of prolonged rain, a bird turned up in my garden that quite puzzled me. It was quite dark and overcast at the time, but i noticed a medium sized bird darting around my garden and the neighbours. The only features i can remember was a constant flashing between black and white on the body, a random non perching flight and a loud noise, sounding a bit like a a glass being hit with a spoon.
What do you mean by 'medium sized' what other bird that you know would you compare its size to? What time of year was it?
My guess, if it was 'darting' as you say, could be Pied Flycatcher or more likely, Pied Wagtail, but we do need more info.
Cheers
Old Tuesday 6th April 2004, 18:22   #3
seb_seb

"What do you mean by 'medium sized' what other bird that you know would you compare its size to? What time of year was it?
My guess, if it was 'darting' as you say, could be Pied Flycatcher or more likely, Pied Wagtail, but we do need more info."

It was today. By "Medium sized" i am saying that it was about starling sized. Im sorry about the lack of I.D features, but im just wondering what the 'experts' might say was most likely given the situation and few features. Pied Wagtail does seem to fit the description, except the bird i saw didnt have a long tail and was slightly more "hefty" looking. Also, the flight was not undulating, which i think a Pied Wagtails would be?
Thanks for the help,
Seb
Old Tuesday 6th April 2004, 19:53   #4
rogerk

Ring Ouzel??????
I'm struggling here, can I hear the hooves of M Frankis............?
Old Tuesday 6th April 2004, 21:41   #5
jeff

From the title of your thread i'm guessing you think it was some sort of hirundine? Or a swan ;-)

If so, i'd go with House Martin.
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 02:49   #6
very boring banned member

Dendrocopos (minor)?

Last edited by very boring banned member : Wednesday 7th April 2004 at 02:50. Reason: Post nr 3
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 07:54   #7
bristolbirder

Great Spotted Woodpecker?
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 08:51   #8
seb_seb

Hadnt thought of the woodpeckers to be honest. It didnt seem typical of their flight but thinking back the noise was pretty similar to a GSW "chink" call. I would go with House Martin aswell jeff, but they dont usually come down this low, especially in a fairly enclosed garden.
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 10:24   #9
Michael Frankis
conehead

I think Mute Swan can fairly safely be excluded . . .

My guess would be for Pied Wagtail, but the call doesn't sound quite right, PWags have a 'chissick' call, I wouldn't describe it as being like hitting a glass with a spoon.

Otherwise, an escaped cagebird of some sort?

Michael
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 14:06   #10
rogerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frankis
I think Mute Swan can fairly safely be excluded . . .

My guess would be for Pied Wagtail, but the call doesn't sound quite right, PWags have a 'chissick' call, I wouldn't describe it as being like hitting a glass with a spoon.

Otherwise, an escaped cagebird of some sort?

Michael
Thanks Michael, I thought I might be alone in the Pied Wagtail theory.
Although it was more hefty looking than a Pied Wag, Great Spotted Woodpeckers tend to be a bit clumsy in flight, not usually accused of darting about. I'm not saying it wasn't a GSW and the fact is we may never know for certain, but surely some redness would have been visible?
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 14:57   #11
jeff

I'm sticking with Paul Heaton going by your thread title, but the only chinker i can think of is the Chaffinch, hardly be described as flashing white then black though.

It's a mystery as Toyah once said.
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 17:41   #12
Gill Osborne

Reading the first post a couple of times I would probably go for Chaffinch as well! You do get a fair flash of black and white as they fly up and the call does sound right for the species.
Perhaps keep a field guide next to the window just in case it shows again...perhaps with a couple of markers in the pages showing Pied Wagtail and Chaffinch so you can hopefully solve the mystery.

GILL

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 18:46   #13
seb_seb

Thanks everyone. It was probably a bird im familiar with, such as a chaffinch, but puzzled me seen in those conditions.
Old Wednesday 7th April 2004, 19:32   #14
M@rk

I have seen 5 crows in a line today and 3 magpies on a tiled toof next door to me.
Old Thursday 8th April 2004, 08:16   #15
Rod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb_seb
Thanks everyone. It was probably a bird im familiar with, such as a chaffinch, but puzzled me seen in those conditions.
No one mentioned Brambling - could still be the odd one about and much more B&W than a Chaffinch.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: