• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need a tripod ! (1 Viewer)

Wild Skies

I am a newbie and am just getting my feet wet in this game . . . I bought an inexpensive lightweight spotting scope and the tripod that came with it isn't up to the task---so I need a different tripod that will do the job. What would you recommend in a new or used tripod that offers stability, is easy to operate, is easily transportable and one that won't break the bank.

TIA,
Wild Skies

Careful, you are about to take a first step on a very slippery slope!
The better tripod demands the better head. That suggests a better scope, which then leads to a better tripod and the cycle begins again.
If it helps, I've found the Velbon Ultra Luxi an excellent lightweight and compact package, for about $150. They offer somewhat less compact models for materially less money.
Big Pockets, a birding gear web site, offers a superb but very bulky tripod at a reasonable price, because the design has only one leg extension, rather than 2 or 3 as in more compact units.
You might want to gut it out through the coming spring, see what kind of birding you do and where you get frustrated with your tripod/scope combo before splashing out cash. Clearly birding in the woods is not going to be as scope oriented as on the shore of a lake or by a field. Also, there are lots of used gear sites, particularly in the astronomy forums such as Cloudy Nights and Astromart which often offer excellent values.
Good luck in your quest!

Simmons Blazer 20-60 x 60mm.

I will spend whatever it takes to achieve the performance from the tripod one needs. If I enjoy this activity I will undoubtedly be upgrading the scope to something much better and hopefully this tripod will suffice for the new scope, too. I'm looking for value.

I will spend whatever it takes to achieve the performance from the tripod one needs. If I enjoy this activity I will undoubtedly be upgrading the scope to something much better and hopefully this tripod will suffice for the new scope, too. I'm looking for value.

Before you commit to the standard tripod plus scope route, you might want to consider other options.
Stabilized binoculars are wonderful. My Canon 10x42ISL is clunky, but bulletproof and gives great luminous views, free from jitter. Canon also offers 12x,15x and 18x models, all vastly more portable than a tripod/scope combination.
Alternatively, hand hold a small scope such as the Nikon ED50. It has great optics and can handle up to 40x very well, although at higher powers you'd want a monopod to stabilize the scope. Still a lot less clutzy than a scope/tripod would be.
Scopes and tripods are frankly a chore to carry, but unfortunately, the birding optics industry has not yet learned from their camera side that image stabilization is a really nifty feature that allows scopes to be hand held at 30x. The penny will drop soon imho, simply because the low end camera business is in free fall, so they have to innovate to stay in business.
Just not happening as fast as one would like, unfortunately.

Consider my recommendation here.

The Velbon 607 is more than adequate for this particular scope. It's fairly lightweight for its size, and while it isn't super-cheap (~$80 +S&H), it probably won't break the bank... and it might (emphasis MIGHT) prove adequate for that scope upgrade.

My Canon 10x42ISL is clunky, but bulletproof and gives great luminous views, free from jitter. Canon also offers 12x,15x and 18x models, all vastly more portable than a tripod/scope combination.
Alternatively, hand hold a small scope such as the Nikon ED50. It has great optics and can handle up to 40x very well, although at higher powers you'd want a monopod to stabilize the scope. Still a lot less clutzy than a scope/tripod would be.
Scopes and tripods are frankly a chore to carry, but unfortunately, the birding optics industry has not yet learned from their camera side that image stabilization is a really nifty feature that allows scopes to be hand held at 30x. The penny will drop soon imho, simply because the low end camera business is in free fall, so they have to innovate to stay in business.
Just not happening as fast as one would like, unfortunately.
No offense, but STRONG amounts of disconnect in this post!

The guy bought a sub-$100 scope and here you are suggesting he get an $1500 ISL.

Oh, and handholding a non-IS 13-30x50 scope?... Seriously??

Consider my recommendation here.

The Velbon 607 is more than adequate for this particular scope. It's fairly lightweight for its size, and while it isn't super-cheap (~$80 +S&H), it probably won't break the bank... and it might (emphasis MIGHT) prove adequate for that scope upgrade.

No offense, but STRONG amounts of disconnect in this post!

The guy bought a sub-$100 scope and here you are suggesting he get an $1500 ISL.

Oh, and handholding a non-IS 13-30x50 scope?... Seriously??
My apologies for any disconnect, the OP said he would spend what it takes and the Canon 12x36 sells for under $650 on Amazon. I did not check out his current scope, but would second your thought of a Velbon. I got their Ultra Luxi for my small Nikon ED50 scope and it served well.
There is a decent looking bargain tripod/ballhead on Newegg here, expires Dec 1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...16380X732852Xabce1d950d28c906496a6fc95dcd7352
However, now I actually do hand hold my 27x Nikon ED50, but carry a monopod as well for longer scans. Hand held is convenient and works very well when a closer look is wanted.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back