• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Growth? (1 Viewer)

Twite

Hi.

Today in the west of Ireland I noticed a lot of Crocosmia which is showing abundant new growth, with leaves from 10-30cms. This a relatively common roadside plant in rural areas usually associated with older houses/cottages.
Is it early to have such growth or is this normal? Some of these plants are still showing the remnants of this years earlier growth which is still in the process of breaking down.
I have a diary note from 8th. February 2006 " Crocosmia leaves 20cms." Which is in the range of todays growth but 9 weeks earlier.
Has anybody else noticed early growth of early plants like Snowdrops, Daffodils.

Twite.

Hi Twite,

Our Crocosmia is finished over here now, but then it always is, I'm amazed you have it this late compared to us, the extra rain maybe?!

Glad it's not just us that thought we were seeing things last week when seeing Daffodils in Yeovil, Somerset!!! I'll go checking the normal places for Snowdrops and see what they're doing, but none visible last week.

Nature never fails to amaze us, climate change either I suppose!

Best wishes,

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back