• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification request (1 Viewer)

DeanSiford

Hello all,

This is my first post and already i'm asking for help lol..

While out walking on Sunday I came across the bird pictured below but, as i'm more of a photographer than a birder, at the moment, I'm not sure it is what I think it is.

Everything points to a common nightingale, but i'm not sure. If anyone could possibly confirm this, or offer an alternative, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Deano

Attachments

• nightingale.jpg
    nightingale.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 382
Hi Dean,

I think even this year, in which summer migrants have arrived unusually early, it's still too soon for a Nightingale. It's a difficult angle to identify a bird from but I think this looks like a Dunnock (aka Hedge Sparrow/ Accentor).

Sounds good to me, the light was pretty poor and by the time I had moved to get a profile it had had enough! Does the Dunnock have a really warbling song? This bird was singing so beautifully!

I still think it's Chaffinch, the colouration and the stance are all wrong for Dunnock, try enlarging the photo in Photoshop or what have you.

nirofo.

Sorry. but is certainly a Dunnock - look at the pale grey throat and rusty streaming - also the tail shape feet and leg colour and lack of thite others - on top of the bill shape.

Attachments

• buoy.JPG
    buoy.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 205
I reckon its a Hedge Accentor........... ;)

I believe these birds can have a square or notched tail. This ones does seem to be rather a deep 'notch'.

tracker

hi jane

is it true that we have only 4 other prunella species, "accentors" in europe across to
asia the dunnock makeing the fifth accentor and only one here but interestingly
covers most of the ranges of the other 4 accentors.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back