• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with wader id please (1 Viewer)

leighjauncey

I had a wonderful day out yesterday with an old friend in Dorset. Birdwatching at Stanpit, nr Christchurch in the morning and out hawking with his merlin in the afternoon. Whilst at Stanpit I got some pictures of this wader - we assumed it was a Ruff/Reeve but on checking books at home now I'm not so sure. Can anyone confirm/corect this please.

Thanks

Leigh Jauncey

Attachments

• unknownwader.jpg
    unknownwader.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 362
Thanks very much. I've only recently got back into birdwatching seriously again and waders always were difficult, being colour blind doesn't help!

Leigh

Hi Leigh,
I'd agree with juv.(Red)Knot.Even without being able to tell what colour it was,the structure and head pattern differ noticably from either sex of Ruff,which has an odd shape all of it's own!
Nice photo,btw!
Harry H

Thanks Harry,
I have the same trouble with sorting out my photos on the computer - I cannot always see the chromatic aberration that is obvious to the everyone else - I see what you mean about the head pattern though. My field guide is 30 years old - I took a peak in the latest Collins guide in a bookshop today - if I'd had that with me I would have been able to identify it properly, things certainly have improved a lot, especially the quality of the pictures these days. Having just spent more than I can afford on a new 'scope, a new field guide will have to wait - thank goodness for the help available here!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back