• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id help needed (1 Viewer)

Shannon,
It would also help to know when and where photo was taken. Also did the bird have any wingbars?

I'll venture a guess that it could be a Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler. I'd say an immature female.

Hopefully a warbler expert will appear and shed some more light.

Great shot!

Yes, the yellow patch at the wingbend is Myrtle (the eastern half of Yellow-rumped) Warbler. I don't know about immature, but certainly a fall female, and anyway the only likely warbler in Michigan about now, I should think-- must be getting chilly there!

As an aside, the reason they can stay further north than other warblers, is because they've adapted to feeding on berries as well as insects (as this bird was probably doing!), particularly the energy-rich waxy berries of Wax Myrtle (Myrica cerifera), which many other birds don't have the right enzymes to digest the wax.

Michael

Thanks everyone! It was taken just yesterday in Southern Michigan. It was in a tree with about 20 others eating berries. My first confirmed warbler sighting now I can add it to my list!
Shannon

I was just looking at my guide book and I think it looks like the Myrtle variety because of the chin patch extending back on the sides. I'm really knew to bird identification so do I have a myrtle warbler or a yellow rumped warbler ?
Thanks,

Hi,
For what's it worth I was just in Chicago and there were plenty of Yellow-rumped Warblers there, but also plenty of Palm Warblers too. They're superficially similar, but Palms are noisy warblers with yellow undertail coverts and are more often on the ground than Yellow-rumpeds (any Field Guide will give you the details). I mention it just in case you don't really look at the next few warblers thinking that nothing else could be around...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back