• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to this forum, question about spotting scope (1 Viewer)

roeliepoelie

Hello,
I am completely new to this forum, i am from the netherlands and i am into buying a new spotting scope. I have never owned one, so completely new into it.
I want to use it for birding, watching wildlife and looking at the moon/stars.
My eye fell first on the Bushnell legend or the Vanguard 20-60x 80. But, after looking a bit further i noticed the Pentax PF80-ED angled version.
There are a lot of good reviews about this scope, and you can use different eyepieces.

Now is my question, is this spotting scope, including the zoom eyepiece, good enough for my demands? That is, birding, watching wildlife and a little bit of astronomy (i know i can't watch saturn, but it would be nice to look at the moon a bit closer, and see the stars a bit closer...)
And, i wear glasses, does it make a different wich eyepiece to close, or, what spotting scope???
I am not in the opportunity to go to a shop, so have to buy them online. (someone i know lives in america, he wants to take one with him for me)
Will this pentax combo be an all i need spotting scope??
Oh, and i allready own a very sturdy tripod, so that is not an isue....

hope you can help me out with some advice,
best regards,
Roel

Roel,

For many years the Pentax 80 mm spotting scope was considered the equivalent, optically, of many of the much more expensive European models. I still think it competes very favorably with all but the newest Alphas. The key is in the choice of eyepiece. Pentax makes some superb XW fixed power eyepieces. Even their SMC zoom eyepiece is above average in performance.

I know of one forum member who is selling his 80 ED with a fixed power XW eyepiece and the SMC zoom. I think he was asking for $1000 for everything. If your friend from the US is willing then maybe that would be a very reasonable option for you.

Just a thought.

I have the Pentax 80 (angled version) with both zoom eyepiece and XW14 eyepiece. I bought it online and I'm very happy with it. Very bright, clean and crisp immages. I can't immagine to want something even better than this. I wear eyeglasses and have no problem. Off course you have to get used to it ... It is wonderfull to look at the moon with it but you are not really going to see anything else up there I think. I used mine for some digiscoping, take a look if you like!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21842621@N06/sets/72157606334432597/

Last edited:
Hello Gufo, that are some nice pictures.
With what camera are you making these pictures?
I Won a Nikon D70, can i also make it fit to this scope? Do i need a special converter?
I think i will buy this scope, first with the zoom eyepiece. Maybe later on i will get me an XW eyepiece.
Thanks for your info, Roel

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back