• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp Shinned or Cooper's Hawk (1 Viewer)

RioTuitoBirder

parrotstowarblers.weebly. com
We were sitting out in our studio last evening when I saw a medium sized orange fronted bird alight on a structure in our back yard. At first I thought it was a Varied Thrush (a Northwest US specialty that is very handsome indeed!) but upon closer inspection I noticed the blue/gray back and that it was a little larger than a thrush. Just as I realized it was a small raptor it took off holding a small creature in its talons. I never got a great look but did note the banding on the tail as it flew up and over the house. It was especially interesting as I had just read a story in a local weekly paper earlier in the day detailing a Cooper Hawk's forays into a neighbor's chicken yard. I think it was a Cooper's, Janki thinks it was a Sharp Shinned. I hope we'll see it again. Our small yard never ceases to amaze me. My fiancee has planted many native and fruiting plants over her years in this house in a residential neighborhood and it has really paid off in bird habitat.

If it was anywhere near thrush size, it was probably a male Sharpie (the females are much larger than the males and Coops of both sexes larger yet).

At least here on the east coast, sharpies are migrating through in numbers right now. So they may be more common now than at other times.

Hawk in Massachusetts

I need help identifying this, if anyone can help please

Attachments

• 8B106484-E219-4F26-807A-9D96B5E83A15.jpg
    8B106484-E219-4F26-807A-9D96B5E83A15.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back