• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Can someone help me. I have several Blackbirds about at the moment and would like to know how to tell if they are females or young males, some of them are quite dark in colour. When do male Blackbirds turn black with orange bill?

From a complete novice. Now I have joined Bird Forum I no doubt will have many more queries as time goes on. Sorry if this is boring to all you experts out there.

I'll try to answer you, A...

(I had to look this up, by the way!)

It would seem that juveniles are paler and "warmer" coloured than females and show flecks (whereas females are uniformly brown).

Please ask as many questions as you like... it's one of the reasons BF exists. We were all complete novices once... and some of us are still learning as we go.

(Fortunately we do have a few genuine experts to guide us!)

:t:

This has had me baffled for a while - although some might say that's not difficult :-O . We have a male Blackbird visit sporadically, but a female/juvenile visit's far more frequently. I've assumed as I see them sometimes sitting together in the trees that they are a pair and therefore it has to be a female?

Hi A.
The juv male blackbird has an overall even brown
colouring, the immature male has a black bill & orbital ring. 1st summer adults have the lovely
crocus colour bill & orbit. Females remain streaky
brown. hope this helps.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back