• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rescued Owl - Ecuador - Puyo (Edge of amazon and Andes!) (1 Viewer)

Glooper

Hi,

I am currently working in an animal rescue centre in Ecuador. We have an owl that was rescued and hand reared from a chick. We have slowly been introducing live food which it was initially refusing to eat (though in the last few days it has started to eat live mice). This means that we are hoping to release it into the wild within the next few weeks. However, we have not managed to identify the species of owl (we think it is a type of screech owl) and so do not know its natural habitat. It was found in Puyo which is on the edge of the amazon but is also fairly close to the Andes. I have photos of the owl here...

http://www.gloopics.com/main.php?g2_itemId=3415

If anyone can ID the bird and give information about it's natural habitat, prey or any other advice that would be great.

cheers
Ben

http://www.amazoniarescue.org/en/index.php

This looks closest to a red morph Tropical Screech-Owl (lowland and lower Andes in forest edges, second growth, villages, etc.). The yellow eyes, whitish eyebrows, dark border the facial disk are good marks (but hard to tell for certain in these photos). Vermiculated Screech-Owl (in Andean foothill forests) is similar but smaller, without dark borders to the facial disk. Tawny-bellied Screech-Owl (lowland forest) is also possible; it should have a pale band that circles the back of the head.
Andy

Definitely Tropical, though I'd call this brown rather than rufous (the "true" rufous of most population is far more striking, though one could argue that referring to these as morphs, considering that the variation is rather clinal in most populations, is questionable). In addition to the features mentioned by Andy, Vermiculated (or whatever taxonomic treatment one may prefer of the east Ecuadorian foothill population) has a rather different pattern below, Tawny-bellied (regardless of morph) is darker, have a far less striking dark edge to their mask, and yellow-eyed Tawny-bellied are extremely rare (indeed, while I've seen claims of the contrary, so far I've only been able to confirm that this occurs in juv's - not ad's or sub-ad's). The pale band that circles the back of the head isn't reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back