• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you carry your kit (1 Viewer)

Mevcrna

Hello all.

I am carrying a Canon 500mm F4 with a 7D, a T3i, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 300 F4, 100mm F2.8 macro, Yongnuo 565, Better Beamer and Induro 413AT with Manfrotto Gimbal. On a LowePro 600AW bits and pieces stick out in accessory pockets all over and the tripod looks like an alien antenna. Does anyone else have a plan to carry all their kit for a day of bire/nature photography?

Mike

Personally I'd be looking to travel light and uncluttered and I would take far less than that for a day out shooting wildlife/birds. My most typical kit these days would be a 5D3 with Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS and possibly 1.4X and 2X teleconverters. Depending on the exact nature of the event I may take a tripod, monopod or no support at all. If I can leave stuff safely in the car then I may expand the kit list, but if I'm to lug it about all day then "less is more".

I try to avoid having a backpack unless I really need to stow the gear for a long hike or for protection from the elements (natural and human) etc.. I'll either hang the camera/lens from a Black Rapid strap or sling it over my shoulder atop the monopod or tripod. If I need to take food, drink and extra clothing then that's a different story, but ideally I want as little weight and bulk as possible and my back clear so that I don't get too hot and sweaty lugging the gear around. A 600 AW must add several kilos all on its own - 3.8Kg if I have the right bag. If I do want a bag then my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW will take everything I need and adds just 1.6Kg.

Hello all.

I am carrying a Canon 500mm F4 with a 7D, a T3i, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 300 F4, 100mm F2.8 macro, Yongnuo 565, Better Beamer and Induro 413AT with Manfrotto Gimbal. On a LowePro 600AW bits and pieces stick out in accessory pockets all over and the tripod looks like an alien antenna. Does anyone else have a plan to carry all their kit for a day of bire/nature photography?

Mike

I use the Lowepro Super Trekker AWii - it should swallow that lot quite easily. They are no longer made but both myself and a friend picked up nice examples, at around 100 GBP, on fleabay.
In my Super trekker I carry an 800mm with 1D4 attached, a 300 F2.8, 2 extenders, spare batteries etc, a Wimberley 2, set of extension tubes, lens cleaning kit, spare cards etc. On the outside I have a Gitzo 3530LS. There is room for more stuff - but I can't carry anymore weight!
If you are a Super Hero then the Super Trekker also comes with a detachable day pack (for tea food etc) and two side pouches - one takes up to 3 shortish lenses the other will take a water bottle or a lens like the 300 F4/400 F5.6. I think that should allow you all the room you need.
Personally I rate this pack VERY highly due to the particularly wide range of adjustments in the harness system and it is the most comfortable pack I have yet tried.

Hello all.

Mike

Decades ago I used to carry everything in one bulging gadget bag, and I then started to notice that my right shoulder was complaining. I then moved to having dedicated kits for different tasks - and my shoulder recovered.
I now carry my EF 500 F4L IS in a Lowepro Flipside 300 - it just fits, I carry my 1D IV plus EF 28-105 zoom round my neck. I trail my Benbo One tripod & Manfrotto gimbal head in a "granny" shopping trolley, and this restricts where I can get to. If I change to my EF 300 F/2.8L IS I can carry this plus body in the Flipside 300 case. (I bought the larger Flipside 400 but this will not take my EF 500 F4L IS - the thicker body padding stops it deforming to take the 500!)
There was a time when I carried my 300 F/2.8L in its padded case, in the shopping trolley, but the lack of springing caused damage to the USM & focus accuracy - now repaired.

If I'm carrying most of my Kit I put it in a F-Stop Rucsac - I've got the Tilopa.

Most of the time though, the camera and lens I'm using is in my hands already on a Monopod.

Graham.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back