• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8x30 EII vs 8x32 SE? (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

I've been out of the bino thing for quite a while and was surprised to see that Nikon is making the EII's again. That's great. I almost bought one of the grey market EIIs last night off of Amazon...and somehow resisted.

Is the current production EII and the 100th Anniversary EII the same build quality?

Anyway, how do the new EII's with updated coating compare in image quality and such to the 8X32 SE?

Just for reference, I purchased a SE new back in 2010. I also purchased a used EII from this forum back around that time. I had a hard time telling much of a difference between the two so I kept the SE since it had the warranty.

Thanks,
Dave

Wow, that's weird. This topic was fully covered by Andy and I responded to his post. I had a few beers that evening after a very busy week and poof...the memory was gone. Hopefully it was the beer.
Later,
Dave

I was tempted by the new gray market EII's on Amazon. They offer a $70 discount if you sign up for the Amazon credit card. But, I'll pass. I hope somebody buys them...only one pair left.
Thanks,
Dave

A little late to the party, but I spoke with a Nikon service rep in Los Angeles earlier this month and he said the Anniversary EIIs are the same build as the regular EIIs except for cosmetics.

A little late to the party, but I spoke with a Nikon service rep in Los Angeles earlier this month and he said the Anniversary EIIs are the same build as the regular EIIs except for cosmetics.

That makes sense.

The EIIs are still being made and sold in Japan and the Far East. I suppose that the Anniversary version has the same coatings as those.

Bob

The EII s have gone up 50 big ones since October when I grabbed two, perhaps the $ is a bit weaker now Vs the yen.

Andy W.

Here are Allbinos review of the two Nikon Porro's. The SE is ranked 4th and the EII 9th Place.

https://www.allbinos.com/214-binoculars_review-Nikon_SE_8x32_CF.html
https://www.allbinos.com/270-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x30E_II.html

The biggest difference between the SE and the EII are the FOV and the sharpness of the edges. The EII has a huge FOV in fact one of the largest for an 8x and the SE has an average FOV for an 8x. The EII has softer edges and the SE has sharper edges and a flatter field. With the SE eye placement is more critical and the EII is less fussy. They are probably the best two porro prism binoculars for birding and represent great value for their performance compared to more expensive roofs. The advantage they have over even more expensive roofs is their 3D image although the images are slightly smaller in appearance than a roof prism. The biggest disadvantage is neither is waterproof so that may or not be an issue depending on how they are used. They both control CA and glare quite well not really needing ED glass because of the porro design and their transmission is quite good because of the porro design. I have noticed the newer alpha roofs with their constantly improved coatings are starting to show better contrast than the EII or SE. That would one area where the the EII and SE could probably see an improvement. So if you want a big FOV get the EII and if you want sharper edges and a flatter field get the SE. You can find the EII on Ebay. The SE's are getting hard to find on the used market.

Last edited:
I live in a great area for nature observation birding etc., and I choose to go out when it is dry not raining. As I have said before I sometimes work in the rain as a Geologist, and when it is raining and I am off work I am inside warming or cooling off. My Nikon porros never will be in the rain. The Bushnell Legend M are my truck bins when at work. I compete at other things, birding in the rain is not one of them.
With respect to the Se and EII, I agree they are the best porros for birding and general nature observation. My latest glass the Nikon HG 8X42, now that I have got it into the zone, is a great glass and my first bino with ED glass..and I do notice the incredible clarity and sharpness.

Andy W.

Dennis,

Both my SE and EII are late model (serial #550XXX, and 821XXX). My MHG is a new glass, just recently purchased. These observations are looking in the central portion of view, i.e. the sweet spot. As you correctly stated the EII has a wide FOV with softer edges and the SE has a narrower FOV with sharp edges with a flat field.
I have looked through the earlier generation gray EII, I do not have it now, but from memory the SE shows better contrast than that earlier model with respect to edge detail (of objects in the sweet spot), not color. As far as contrast with color, the new EII has a softer hue of whiteness than the SE, and both are the same in contrast with respect to sweet spot edge detail, at least my eyes cannot discern any real difference, (the EII with more of a 3D view can show more detail of very small scale structures (with the right lighting) with curved surfaces).

The MHG 8X42 is simular to the EII with a wide (FOV 8.3 degrees) with softer edges at the view terminus, it does not have a sharp edge like my older HG/LX venturers.
Contrast with respect to color the MHG wins it between the three (IMHO), with respect to edge detail (viewing within the sweet spot) it is like splitting hairs with all three. With overall view the SE clearly wins because the overall view is sharp to the edge of view, a great glass to view architectural detail.

Where the MHG wins out and why I bought it in the first place is for viewing under low light situations, with a larger exit pupil coupled with advanced ed glass, it provides detail where the others cannot.

They are all great binoculars, and a pleasure to use. The MHG is my first new roof with Ed glass, I also have the Bushnell Legend M with ed glass, and do notice the enhanced visual properties ed can provide. Enhanced brightness can aid in viewing detail of structure especially under lowering light. I will one day look through a Zeiss SF 8X42, to see what almost 3 grand gives one in a view, for now I am very content.

It seems that all the R&D is going to roofs, and sadly the EII and the SE may be the last well designed porros we will see this generation. I am looking for another SE, since they are so scarce and a pleasure to use, I have two EIIs.

Andy W.

Thanks for the detailed comment. Comparing my EII to more expensive roofs has shown me the roofs are getting more superior in contrast. I think eventually the EII and SE will be left behind because of no coating updates and more R&D on the roof's.

Last edited:
I will eventually look at more roofs because of the market share they hold, (much more variety). I still have some older german porros and use them, and still appreciate the view through them - 3D with great depth of field and focus. To me there will never be one glass, but many and growing - that is the fun.

Andy W.

I have not kept my EIIs, but will likely keep my SEs (8x32 and 10x42) for a long time---I just prefer the optics and handling/armor/look of the SE over EII's. And, btw, no blackout issue with either, which is strange as I do get such issues with many other binos.

8x30 E 100 Aniversary.

YES !!!! Still made in JAPAN.

Attachments

• IMG_9875.jpg
    IMG_9875.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9876.jpg
    IMG_9876.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_9883.jpg
    IMG_9883.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_9877.jpg
    IMG_9877.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 193
You have to admit, what Holger Merlitz said years ago, a great glass to run out the door with. I agree, it is portable, light with a great view, for a price that makes you feel you got a good value deal.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back