• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls, East Coast South Korea (1 Viewer)

sandwich311

Hi,

I am new to bird photography and it's my first time trying to ID gulls. Turns out it's quite tricky! Could you advise me if my ID is correct or not?

1) Black-tailed Gull
2) Black-tailed Gull (1st winter)
3) Black-tailed gull (2nd winter)
4) Slaty-backed Gull
5) Glaucous Gull - Juvenile, First winter
6) Mongolian Gull

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Black-tailed Gull - Resident- abundant.jpg
    Black-tailed Gull - Resident- abundant.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Black-tailed Gull (1st winter).jpg
    Black-tailed Gull (1st winter).jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Black-tailed gull (2nd winter).jpg
    Black-tailed gull (2nd winter).jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 28
  • L- Slaty-backed Gull, R- Glaucous Gull - Juvenile, First winter.jpg
    L- Slaty-backed Gull, R- Glaucous Gull - Juvenile, First winter.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Mongolian Gull - Winter Visitor- common (1).jpg
    Mongolian Gull - Winter Visitor- common (1).jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 62
I'm afraid I'm not an expert enough to say 100% for sure on the younger ones, but 1 is certainly Black-tailed, 4 is certainly Slaty-backed and 5 is definitely a glaucous.

I'd imagine you are also correct on 2 and 3, but not familiar with Mongolian enough to raise an opinion on that one.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate it. I looked through a couple of books and on the internet to get the IDs that I have but was not very sure of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back