• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

Odds and sods around East Norfolk yesterday. Excellent views of a couple of short-eared owls (sorry guys - can't give out the location as they would suffer from disturbance), 19 Cranes near Waxham and the Ross's Goose in the flock of Pinkies at Horsey as per the pager. The Cranes starting to get a bit frisky and territorial, with adults chasing some of the younger ones off. Also, good to see how many young there were in the flock - good breeding success of late. Surely a species that's set to spread even more...

Also somewhat suprised by the number of Whitefronts wintering out east. C. 350 in the fields around Heigham Holmes and between Stubb Mill and High's Mill - about 6% of the UK population!

Also a record 4 swan spp dotted around.............

An old colleague of mine (and I don't mean your age Ron!) told me there were a couple of Greylags at Strumpshaw in early January that had been neck collared in Orkney. I don't know what the colour/number combinations were...

James

I had no more detail on the 2 orange neck collared grey lags i saw at Cantley 14/12/08 except to say they were ringed on orkney - the information came from one of the assistant wardens at Strumpshaw. The neck collared geese were seen briefly from the brick hide at Strumpshaw early in the year.

Nothing too exciting - just 2 Blacks at Hickling as well as the 3 white spp.

I had no more detail on the 2 orange neck collared grey lags i saw at Cantley 14/12/08 except to say they were ringed on orkney - the information came from one of the assistant wardens at Strumpshaw. The neck collared geese were seen briefly from the brick hide at Strumpshaw early in the year.

Quite likely to be the same birds I saw. I've submitted the sightings to the Euring website - will provide details if I find out more.

Cheers

Ilya

Have posted a thread about the 'influx' of Red Kites in the Birds and Birding forum - any comments much appreciated
Hi Connor
Some interesting stuff on the thread. For what it's worth (and in agreement with some of the other comments) I don't think these are continental birds. Firstly, it's about three weeks too early and secondly I don't think that the usual conditions that bring birds across from the continent (usually some easterly drift) have been around recently.
I had what were almost certainly two different birds on Saturday (both adults) one drifting east over fields at Hargham just south of Attleborough and a couple of hours later a second adult high over my garden in Attleborough which came in from the north. First bird definitely did not have wing tags and the second I didn't have a chance to find out as it went directly overhead. My money is on them being wandering birds from the populations in the midlands displaced by the weather from a couple of weeks ago possibly as a result of difficulties in finding food. Of interest, also, 9 common buzzards around Attleborough and four sparrowhawks - time to check out your local woodland for goshawks I think!

Mick

Hi Connor
Some interesting stuff on the thread. For what it's worth (and in agreement with some of the other comments) I don't think these are continental birds. Firstly, it's about three weeks too early and secondly I don't think that the usual conditions that bring birds across from the continent (usually some easterly drift) have been around recently.
I had what were almost certainly two different birds on Saturday (both adults) one drifting east over fields at Hargham just south of Attleborough and a couple of hours later a second adult high over my garden in Attleborough which came in from the north. First bird definitely did not have wing tags and the second I didn't have a chance to find out as it went directly overhead. My money is on them being wandering birds from the populations in the midlands displaced by the weather from a couple of weeks ago possibly as a result of difficulties in finding food. Of interest, also, 9 common buzzards around Attleborough and four sparrowhawks - time to check out your local woodland for goshawks I think!

Mick

Thanks very much Mick for these useful comments. Do you suppose that this influx (involving at least 6 birds) is the movement of birds from the midlands triggered by the slightly warmer temperatures we have been having, as Ilya first suggested? Is there much evidence of a similar movement having occurred before? (although with more and more released birds I suppose wanderes, even in are going to become even more frequent). In a sense I feel it is a shame they are no longer being fitted with wing-tags as it makes the situation involving migrants from the continent more murky, and there are clearly a lot of birds without wingtags in the area already. Also Mick (or anyone else for that matter), have you found in movements of Red Kites that adults or younger birds take precedent (i.e. are younger birds more likely to be involved in such movements?)

Cheers,

Connor

Does anyone know the rough size of the midlands (or British) population of Red Kites? I find it odd that if these birds are residents to the UK, that they would all move to Norfolk. Or have others been seen in other unusual counties as well? Why Norfolk? There must be a reason...

I see the Cattle Egret at Strumpshaw has reportedly got a damaged leg. Has anyone seen the bird? Is there anything (else) to suggest it is a different bird to the Branningham (and Cockley Cley!?) bird?

Thanks very much Mick for these useful comments. Do you suppose that this influx (involving at least 6 birds) is the movement of birds from the midlands triggered by the slightly warmer temperatures we have been having, as Ilya first suggested? Is there much evidence of a similar movement having occurred before? (although with more and more released birds I suppose wanderes, even in are going to become even more frequent). In a sense I feel it is a shame they are no longer being fitted with wing-tags as it makes the situation involving migrants from the continent more murky, and there are clearly a lot of birds without wingtags in the area already. Also Mick (or anyone else for that matter), have you found in movements of Red Kites that adults or younger birds take precedent (i.e. are younger birds more likely to be involved in such movements?)

Cheers,

Connor

In past 2-3 years not unusual for a sprinkling of records in Jan-Feb but no noticeable influx as per last week. Makes me think even more than it was a combination of factors that has not occurred before, ie growing populations of kites in release areas plus exceptionally cold weather and major snowfall resulting in some dispersal as a result of food shortages. Will be interesting to see if there is eventually some data from other eastern counties and also the mix of adult/imm birds. Whatever the reason they're fabulous birds and the county's first breeding cannot be too far away (or may have happened already!)...................

Does anyone know the rough size of the midlands (or British) population of Red Kites? I find it odd that if these birds are residents to the UK, that they would all move to Norfolk. Or have others been seen in other unusual counties as well? Why Norfolk? There must be a reason...

Several hundred pairs breed in the Midlands (Chiterns/Rockingham Forest) - more than enough to supply a handful of stragglers to Norfolk. At this time of year pairs are forming and displacing other birds. It's a good time to see them away from the core areas.

Titchwell February 25th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 15 on beach although very mobile
Twite - 4 on beach
Black brant - adult with brent flock
Brambling - 6 on feeders in picnic area
Ruff - 25 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 70 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Red Squirrel

Hi All.

Nothing to do with birds here, no doubt somebody will frown upon me for posting where I shouldn't post. Does anybody know if Red Squirrels occur in Norfolk? I have a friend who is convinced he saw 1 today. I have explained about the variation in colour of Greys but he says he is certain he saw a Red.

I would be pleased for to hear your views.

John.

Hi All.

Nothing to do with birds here, no doubt somebody will frown upon me for posting where I shouldn't post. Does anybody know if Red Squirrels occur in Norfolk? I have a friend who is convinced he saw 1 today. I have explained about the variation in colour of Greys but he says he is certain he saw a Red.

I would be pleased for to hear your views.

John.

Hi John
There was a population in Thetford Forest a few years ago but none have been recorded for a few years however I have recently heard a rumour that there is a population near Castle Rising I don't think there is but you never know. Most of the Red Squirrels sightings in Norfolk are believed to be escapees. There are some captive Red Squirrels at Pensthorpe and Easton.

Regards
Robert :t:
http://robertsnorfolkbirding.blogspot.com/

I have recently heard a rumour that there is a population near Castle Rising
http://robertsnorfolkbirding.blogspot.com/

These are from a planned reintroduction programme.

dad had a juv/female Rough-legged Buzzard from the clifftop at Dersingham Bog at 14:30 today. It drifted north-west over the pines below the cliff-top and out over the marsh, heading towards the south end of Snettisham RSPB. I see the two have been reported again as over the marsh viewable from Wolferton Church this afternoon (per birdguides). It was presumed to be the original bird as opposed to the more recent pale bird, with a striking white rump and dark-brown/black tail band, an extensive black belly, slight flecking on the upperparts and a slight grey wash to the head.

Kelling Heath used to have a breeding programme for Red Squirrels. I don't know if they still do. After breeding the youngsters were sent away for re-introduction.

Ron

dad had a juv/female Rough-legged Buzzard from the clifftop at Dersingham Bog at 14:30 today.

Very nice, would like that for my Norfolk list, think I will stay local this weekend, as lots to see up this end of the coast I think!;)

Today in the copse behind the back of Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn, in one alder tree, (1pm) 1 treecreeper 'creeping' up base of tree and calling, blue tit, great tit, coal tit, long tailed tit, goldfinch x 2, chaffinches and at the very top 2 Siskens feeding!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

There was a reintroduction programme of Red Squirrels near Castle Rising but I don't thing it is still ongoing. I have never seen one there before.
Well done Penny, it's surprising how much birdlife there is to be seen in urban areas. Yesterday I had a Kestrel perched on top of some rugby posts on the school playing field!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back