• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best NA raptor reference/identification book/s? (1 Viewer)

Wheeler

The best is Brian K. Wheeler, Raptors of Western / Eastern North America (2 vols., Princeton UP). I also very much like Jerry Liguori's Hawks from Every Angle (Princeton UP) and the wonderful Hawks in Flight by Pete Dunne, Clay Sutton, and David Sibley (Houghton Mifflin, if rightly I recall). Hawks in Flight is really an essential book for anyone interested in developing flight identifcation skills in any avian group.

I do not (yet) now the wheeler books but I've read that the western edition has all the birds of the eastern edition except one species (I think the Snail Kite). so if you want to get just one, you should probably get the western edition. but then you will probably only have maps from the west too.
I will soon order my own copy of the western edition because I hope to visit
the US again as soon as possible.

Markus

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back