• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why isn't Zen Ray fixing customer service? (1 Viewer)

The ZR facebook page appears to have been removed and there's a note on their website about revamping the site and it should return in 2018. I need warranty work and can't get in touch with Charles. I've emailed and called a number listed on the net, but it goes to a personal voicemail that sound nothing like ZR.

I have purchased three bins and a scope from this company and always recommended them freely. Am I going to be sorry?? :(

The answer is looking increasingly like "yes". The ZR website now shows all of the pictured binoculars and scopes as "Out of Stock", and no orders can be placed. While the site will supposedly be revamped in 2018, it would not surprise me to learn that the company is now out of business. It's a shame as the products were actually pretty good. Hopefully, the same fate will not befall other newcomers like Maven, Tract, GPO etc.

Last edited:
Guess I'll hold off until April to see if they return like the website says they will. My bins still work just fine, but the objective lenses are both cracked from a flat fall on to concrete. :(

I asked a similar question to a large optics seller, based in New York.

He said he has tried to contact them, no response.

This does not sound good at all. So buyer beware.

Jerry

The good news, I guess, is you can't buy them anymore since they are closed. The bad news is, I'm learning, that my ZRs in need of repair are probably forever dead.

Unfortunately, it's a safe bet ZR is history. They were having problems for a while--who knows why. I sent an ED2 in for repair almost two years ago and it disappeared for a couple months. I finally contacted them about it, got no response, but the binos showed up two days later. The focus wheel dustcap had been mangled so someone tried to do something with them. The problem was not fixed however.

I just wrote them off. It's a mechanical thing (the right barrel focusing lens is basically disconnected) so I might just open them up and have some fun trying to repair it myself. Couldn't hurt.

As I said, it's just unfortunate.

The answer is looking increasingly like "yes". The ZR website now shows all of the pictured binoculars and scopes as "Out of Stock", and no orders can be placed. While the site will supposedly be revamped in 2018, it would not surprise me to learn that the company is now out of business. It's a shame as the products were actually pretty good. Hopefully, the same fate will not befall other newcomers like Maven, Tract, GPO etc.

If you liked the ZR product, and the company IS out of business ... you will undoubtedly be able to find virtually the same product from MANY other vendors. The COSMETICS will be different, the WEIGHT might be a touch different, the AR COATINGS MIGHT be different, and the SALES VERBIAGE and COST will be different, but the product won’t be. They supplied from China, just like most of the new kids on the block that everyone likes to brag about. Some of the best of these products (mainly Porros), today, were the best products of the 1960 and ‘70s.

The bino on the left in the photo was sold by an AMERICAN company. The one on the left came from a fine old EUROPEAN company. The difference was in cosmetics, marketing, and THREE HUNDRED NINETEEN DOLLARS.

They were BOTH fine ... JAPANESE products!!!

This is why I have beaten the drum for studying longevity and fiscal strength for so long I have blisters. But, sometimes, price point makes eyes roll back into the head and you can't save people from themselves. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• IMGP0923 copy 2.JPG
    IMGP0923 copy 2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
If you liked the ZR product, and the company IS out of business ... you will undoubtedly be able to find virtually the same product from MANY other vendors. The COSMETICS will be different, the WEIGHT might be a touch different, the AR COATINGS MIGHT be different, and the SALES VERBIAGE and COST will be different, but the product won’t be. They supplied from China, just like most of the new kids on the block that everyone likes to brag about. Some of the best of these products (mainly Porros), today, were the best products of the 1960 and ‘70s.

The bino on the left in the photo was sold by an AMERICAN company. The one on the left came from a fine old EUROPEAN company. The difference was in cosmetics, marketing, and THREE HUNDRED NINETEEN DOLLARS.

They were BOTH fine ... JAPANESE products!!!

This is why I have beaten the drum for studying longevity and fiscal strength for so long I have blisters. But, sometimes, price point makes eyes roll back into the head and you can't save people from themselves. :cat:

Bill

Yes indeed, Bill. That Bushnell Legend M (see above, in the Bushnell section) is basically the same thing. I really liked this bino (Zen version) , but if it craps out and won't be repaired....well I guess I'll pass. Of course Bushnell has more resources than Zen had. Still. Life is short.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back