• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ultravid non HD s. HD (8x42) (1 Viewer)

I have had both and the difference is almost imperceptible. The only reason I went with the HD over the BR (non HD as you say) is the AquaDura coating... it works.

From what I've seen the difference between the HD and the HD Plus is more easily visible in the field.

Hermann

Hermann

This is what I have heard too, but the OP was asking about the model before HD compared with the first HDs (not the HD Plus at all).

Lee

I haven't compared them, but I own the non-HD (BR) and I'll say it has quite a bit of chromatic aberration, especially off-axis, compared to the Zeiss FL, Swarovski 8.5x EL Swarovision, and some others. The CA in that bin is not subtle. In Birdforum discussions, reviewers still found plenty of CA in the HD version, and it seemed it wasn't an update that successfully brought the performance up to the standard for CA control set by the FL (and later, others).

--AP

I believe the main difference between the original Ultravid and the HD was the improved focus mechanism. The originals were prone to significant free play in the focus wheel (a defect widely criticised by many owners at the time and resulting in reputational damage to the brand) which was corrected in the HD. Optically they were the same. I had an original model with the focus free play but after the introduction of the HD , Leica, to their credit, would under warranty, fix the focus problem and make the original Ultravid become an HD by modifying the focus assembly, which they did for mine.

Hermann

This is what I have heard too, but the OP was asking about the model before HD compared with the first HDs (not the HD Plus at all).

I know. What I implied was that the difference between the non-HD and the HD isn't really all that large ... :king:

If you want to get a Leica that's clearly better than the non-HD, you need to get a HD Plus.

Hermann

I know. What I implied was that the difference between the non-HD and the HD isn't really all that large ... :king:

If you want to get a Leica that's clearly better than the non-HD, you need to get a HD Plus.

Hermann

OK gotcha.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back