• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Spoonbills present until 08:20 then flew NE; expect a report from Alvecote shortly ;)

Looking at Jon Morgan's photo on Twitter from this morning the flag could potentially be dark blue which would make it a Belgium bird?

Last edited:
This afternoon the blue morph Snow Goose was still on the JWs, perhaps the bird I saw at Upton Warren on the 1st October? 10 Golden Plover flew in briefly. 2 Stonechat were in the JWs and also seen were 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Siskin and a Redpoll.

This afternoon the blue morph Snow Goose was still on the JWs, perhaps the bird I saw at Upton Warren on the 1st October? 10 Golden Plover flew in briefly. 2 Stonechat were in the JWs and also seen were 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Siskin and a Redpoll.

The Snow Goose is a different bird to the goose at Upton as their bird was still at Upton yesterday and it might not be a Snow Goose, it's always asleep and can't be seen properly, we thought it was dead at one point. No sign of the Midd Lakes bird today and not much else of note, just 2 Stonechat and 2 Golden Plover of interest.

Very quiet around the reserve today, due no doubt in part to a work party strimming the central section of Jubilee Wetlands. I eventually spotted 2 Green Sandpiper up the west side of the North Pit. A Black Swan flew in with some Mute Swans about 3:30 and landed on the Dosthill side. Other than that there were 4, possibly 5, Little Egrets around the reserve (nothing like the 43 reported roosting on KWP by Steve Pick last night!) and at least 1 Goldcrest in the Hall Woods - I wonder if they're a part of the influx that's happened over the past few days? I was hoping that there might have been the odd Bearded Tit in the reeds as there's a minor irruption at the moment but despite having a really good search I didn't find anything other than Bob Duckhouse similarly searching in vain.

Steve

A pleasent wander round today, again very quiet, many wigeons, gadwall, teal, shovelers, etc. No sign of the Black Swan at Dosthill. At least 12 Snipe in flight over Jubilee Wetlands, min 3 Little Egret and a pair of Stonechats by the West path. A period of warm sun brought out a Speckled Wood, 2 Common Darters and a Migrant hawker by the Slurry pool viewing platform.

Richard

Bittern flew across New Reedbed Pool at 4.15pm and dropped into the area where the Starlings roost at the North end of Fishers Mill Pool. JW produced Stonechat, Ruff, Green Sandpier and Female Goosander. 1000+ Starlings roosted but went straight into the reedbed in small groups. I noticed two Little Egrets dropping into the Heronry as I was getting into the car and possibly the reason WJE is now getting lower counts at the Otter Pool roost KWP.

Steve

2 Bearded Tit were found by GAW this morning on the new reedbed pool, later they flew to the JWs and were lost to view. Also seen were 6 Golden Plover on JWs and 2 Snipe.

A pleasent wander round today, again very quiet, many wigeons, gadwall, teal, shovelers, etc. No sign of the Black Swan at Dosthill. At least 12 Snipe in flight over Jubilee Wetlands, min 3 Little Egret and a pair of Stonechats by the West path.

Richard

Added, the stonechat & view over JW

Attachments

• DSCF2821.JPG
    DSCF2821.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 41
  • New_1_DSCF2817__1445891393_92.5.49.35.jpg
    New_1_DSCF2817__1445891393_92.5.49.35.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
This morning the 2 Bearded Tit were on RSPB Dosthill Lake but later flew back across the river. On Cliff Lake (Water Ski Pit) were 4 Goldeneye, 3 Pochard and a Little Grebe. 15 Golden Plover and 15 Snipe were on JWs but no sign of yesterdays Short-eared Owl.

Not much change today down the reserve except for loads of people. Difficult to find a parking space. 200 Golden Plover, 28 Snipe on JW and a further 10 on Fishers Mill. Male Stonechat between the screens and my first Goldeneye of the Autumn (drake). Similar number of Starlings to last night and they all went in together but unfortunately on the far side (river) of Fishers Mill Pool.

Steve

Green Sandpiper on the North Pit this afternoon. 120 Golden Plover on JWs amongst the Lapwing. I saw 3 Snipe all told, one of them by the eastern lagoon of the water ski lake.
Steve

Forgot to mention yesterday that a flock of c50 or 60 Wood Pigeon flew in. Interesting in the light of reports that large flocks of 80-500 have been reported flying in over the east coast.
Steve

Forgot to mention yesterday that a flock of c50 or 60 Wood Pigeon flew in. Interesting in the light of reports that large flocks of 80-500 have been reported flying in over the east coast.
Steve

Nearly 1,800 passed through Upton Warren on Sunday morning; not sure if there have been any big counts from the likes of Belvide, Black Bank or Berry Hill

29 Little Egrets roosted in the Middleton Heronry tonight so looks like they have just about made the switch from KWP otter pool. This included a group of 9 that came in from the South. I say " just about" as although WJE had zero on both the 8th & 11th there was a count of 36 leaving Otter Pool in the morning during the first week of this month.

Steve

Pretty quite at Middleton during late morning/early afternoon today. Only thing of note is that there are now a pair of Stonechats between the screens rather than just the one. There's been reports on TVB & Birdguides of a Short-eared Owl yesterday & the day before but I was too early to see if it was around today & the conditions weren't conducive. It'll be good if it hangs around - it's been seen on the North Pit & the Jws.
Steve

It has been a quiet week with not much to report,
9/11, 1 Goosander, 4 Golden Plover, 1 Snipe, 12 Redwing, a Lesser spotted Woodie was reported.
11/11, 2 Goosander, 40 Fieldfare.
12/11, 1 Shelduck, 1 Green Sandpiper and a small Starling murmuration.
14/11, My first Woodcock since February on the Dosthill side, 1 Shelduck and 3 Chiffchaff.
There was a late report of a Great Grey Shrike on the 28/10 a first for the reserve.
Geoff

It has been a quiet week with not much to report..........

I know what you mean Geoff. I did a very early session this morning and didn't see much at all. Even a Peregrine that was hunting low over JW couldn't flush anything, not even a Lapwing. Been back down tonight to see how many Little Egrets are actually roosting and got 38 although I bet there are a lot more in there as you only get clear views of one side of the Heronry.

Steve

I know what you mean Geoff. I did a very early session this morning and didn't see much at all. Even a Peregrine that was hunting low over JW couldn't flush anything, not even a Lapwing. Been back down tonight to see how many Little Egrets are actually roosting and got 38 although I bet there are a lot more in there as you only get clear views of one side of the Heronry.

Steve
I wondered if a Peregrine had been around as there was hardly a bird on the JWs when I looked from the Dosthill bunds, I didn't even bother crossing the bridge to the main reserve.
The Egret roost was probably a record count.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back