• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for Crowborough, East Sussex, Christmas Birding (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

Hi, I'll be visiting family in Crowborough over Christmas.

Where might be a good place for a few hours birding in the vicinity?

I see Ashdown forest often recommended - is there a particular spot there as I've not been very successful there in the past.

thanks

Old Lodge is great, particularly as it's one of few spots on the forest which isn't frequented by dog walkers and even when it is, they are on leads unlike a lot of other places! A short drive away is 'The Old Airstrip' - the best place i've found so far for dartford warblers. Just a very short walk from 'Long' car park - straight down the wide path, a couple of hundred yards, there is great habitat both sides of the path where you can find them. Lots of goldcrests, reed buntings and stonechats too.

Edit: Looks like 'Isle of Thorns' mentioned previously is the same place as The Old Airstrip! Should have looked first, haven't heard it called that before.

Thanks every one for this info.

In the end I went to The Isle of Thorns, Old Lodge, and the heathland around Crowborough itself (marked as Bunker's Warren on the OS 1:25,000 map) - this was for a couple of hours each of 25, 26, 27 Dec.

Overall, didn't see too much - weather not great except on 27th. - however it was nice to find new areas of the Ashdown Forest and get out of the house for a bit!

Was hoping to find a Dartford Warbler but didnt!

The most interesting birds I saw were:

Stonechat - at the Isle of Thorns
Goldcrest - everywhere
Chiffchaff - Isle of Thorns
Reed Bunting - Bunker's Warren
Grey Wagtail - fly-over at Isle of Thorns (probable)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back