• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x (1 Viewer)

dries1

I once heard someone on the forum calling the 10X a nervous glass, an apt description since some are difficult to hold steady, I have the 10X32 format and it is a nice glass but limited by the lack of depth of focus. To me their application is to view distant targets on a bright day, if lets say out with a EII and want to lock on a bird for a closer view. The 10X32 is a good format for that.
Well I was looking for a 10X42 and wanted one with good optics and would not break the bank, I saw some good deals on 10X42s but I did not know if they were built really well, so I kept looking and found one.
The HG 10X42, built before the LX L lighter version, I am not sure if these were built before 2000 with leaded glass, the serial is 502XXX, or were produced later without lead.

I have not had time to give them a real workout (yes I know it weighs 980 grams but who is counting), preliminary viewing is quite pleasant actually with 6 degrees FOV. They are in great shape for their age, everything works to perfection focus, diopter, and hinge quite pleasant. I am out to view.

Andy W.

Last edited:
They have a flat field and some users might see some "Rolling Ball" when panning them. There were no complaints of the 32mm versions having it. And the FOV is the same as the Nikon 10x42 SE's is.

Bob

If those are the one they called the "Venturer LX" I have a pair. I can't remember when I bought them, and I think I paid around $1,000.

I replaced them with Swarovski EL SVs, but they are still very nice glasses, and yes, they are a bit heavy.

Venturer 10X42

If those are the one they called the "Venturer LX" I have a pair. I can't remember when I bought them, and I think I paid around $1,000.

I replaced them with Swarovski EL SVs, but they are still very nice glasses, and yes, they are a bit heavy.

Maljunulo

The glass performs very well, the color the Hgs provide is very appealing to me. The resolution is great of course (10X). The focus travel has more distance than the 8 and 10X32 Hgs, and of course it is a nikon focus wheel, (Nikon) provides probably the best in the business and is like silk. Clear high contrast across the 6 degree field of view, and flat of course.

Now the weight, I have other porros which are heavier, but far better balanced, i.e. better weight distribution. These seem to have all the weight in the objective end, whereas the 8 and 10X32 HGs have it in the large eyepieces (I believe they all use the same size eyepiece?) If the case material is Aluminum (later switched to magnesium in the LXLs), why would it weigh so much.

I am getting used to the weight (my other glass will feel like balsa after using this one), got a better harness, a used (vero vellini) off a Nikon E I am sending out for repair, much better support with some strap stretch. I can't believe the harness it came with, the same for the 8X10 hgs.

I like the glass, and for the quality of the optics; all the mechanical features, focus, diotpter, eyecups, and hinge all work as new. For what I have spent, the HG 10X42 provides great value and a part of my permanent collection.

Do you still use yours after getting the Swarovski?

Andy W.

Andy;

No, I don't. I passed them on to my Other Half, but she is not a very enthusiastic binocular user, so mostly they sit in an aluminum case lined with pluckable foam.

Binoculars have been so much a part of my whole life, that I guess I just don't understand people who don't understand the delight they bring, and how poorly we see with our naked human eyeballs, as wonderful as they are.

The Swarovski glasses are for me the pinnacle of a long series going back many, many years. The thing that pushed me over the edge to the Swarovskis was the fact that I could see significantly more in dark/shadowed areas than I could with the Nikons.

Now I wish that the voices in my head would stop telling me that I would be able to see the birds (and everything else) better if I had a pair of Zeiss Victory SF.

It never ends.

Happy (almost) New Year
Richard

Richard,

I am there with you, my significant other does not even know how much glass I have, nor does she care. She likewise has no interest in optics.
The HGs I guess with silver coatings are a bit darker than the new ED coatings, I mostly use these during the day, so for me they are ideal, (lighter than some 10X50 s I have handled. For a glass that is about 17 years old, they provide some great views in daylight, I love the color rendition.

I have heard about the SF - I would like to look at the 8X42, MY FAVORITE FORMAT to see the view through them. I have the new Nikon HG 8X42 and it is a great glass, so for me they are ideal, and perhaps I will get the 10X42 down the road.

Yes I am a Nikon fan.

By the way, listen to the voices, we are not getting any younger,

Regards,

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back