• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will there be a 10X32 Noctivid? (1 Viewer)

bmo012

Simple question. Does anyone know whether Leica are planning on making the Noctivid available in any sizes other than 42?

There are rumors that the 32mm NV will be available in 2018 even before Zeiss will unveil their 32mm SF, but they're just *rumors*---there has been no official announcement by Leica, and even if there was one it wouldn't mean much (think of what's happened with the new classic Trinovid line).

Thanks for your message Peter. I'm contemplating the 10X32 Ultravid... but I'm in no rush, and I'd probably wait for the Noctivids if they were on their way.....

The sales man in Belgium confirmed me two weeks ago that will come in 2018 or at least announced

About a year or so ago Doug, from Camera Land,NY stated here somewhere that the 10x32 binocular format was the lowest selling format they had.

You will see an 8x32 Noctivid long before a 10x32 appears.

I recall that when Nikon introduced the EDG series (which had a 10x32 in it) they kept the 8 and 10x42 HGLs and the 8x32 HGL for a short while but they dropped the 10x32 HGL like a hot potato!

Bob

Last edited:
10x32 has worked well for me for 16+ years... I guess I'm a contrarian in this as many other things. I often wonder about those low sales, whether they're mainly due to people being told 10x is more than 32mm can handle, the EP is too small to be generally useful, etc, and people don't even try them.

In the field I certainly see more 10x32 than compacts but I am willing to believe that (Birders I encounter) is just a subset of (People who buy binoculars) and that more 8x20 and 8x25 sell than 10x32. But do more 10x compacts sell than 10x32? Really?

Figures 2017 show that in this segment 46% is 8x32/30; 17% is 10x32/30; 24% is 8x25/20 and 13% is 10x25/20.
Ofcourse this is just one retailer.
Maybe Opticron could tune in for a more representive figure.

Jan

Last edited:
Figures 2017 show that in this segment 46% is 8x32/30; 17% is 10x32/30; 24% is 8x25/20 and 13% is 10x25/20.
Ofcourse this is just one retailer.
Maybe Opticron could tune in for a more representive figure.

Jan

Seems that around 30% prefer 10x bins.
Is it a higher percentage in the 42 and 50mm segment?

A 10x32 has a pretty small exit pupil, narrower field of view, more handshake, and generally are just more demanding to look through. Personally I wouldn't own a 10X with less than a 40 mm objective.

Seems that around 30% prefer 10x bins.
Is it a higher percentage in the 42 and 50mm segment?

Vesp,

Taken into consideration the 50mm is not well sold/available (excluded SV10x50) I counted the 54 and 56mm also.
8x42 is 47%; 10x42 is 34%: 8x50/54/56 is 9% and 10x is 10%.

More than 80% of our customers are on safari going people. They don't have any use for dusk&dawn bins (since there aint any) and the figures reflects that.

Brands counted are Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski and Meopta. Together responseble for 86% of the 2017 turnover.

Jan

A 10x32 has a pretty small exit pupil, narrower field of view, more handshake, and generally are just more demanding to look through. Personally I wouldn't own a 10X with less than a 40 mm objective.

The AFOV is usually larger with 10x32s, and handshake depends on the individual observer. However, I also find them more difficult in use in the field. I find I "need" an exit pupil of about 4mm or more, so I find a 10x40/10x42 a lot easier to use in the field.

Hermann

The AFOV is usually larger with 10x32s, and handshake depends on the individual observer. However, I also find them more difficult in use in the field. I find I "need" an exit pupil of about 4mm or more, so I find a 10x40/10x42 a lot easier to use in the field.

Hermann

This thread is about LEICA’s... here’s the FOV for each:

10x32 = 351.7' @ 1000 yd / 117.2 m @ 1000 m
8x32 = 404.2' @ 1000 yd / 134.7 m @ 1000 m

Handshake individual? NO ONE can hold a 10x steadier than an 8x... that is a FACT.

Tha 8x32 has one less glass element than its 10x brother while still having a 4mm exit pupil... the only thing worse than a 10x32 is a 10x25.

Last edited:
This thread is about LEICA’s... here’s the FOV for each:

10x32 = 351.7' @ 1000 yd / 117.2 m @ 1000 m
8x32 = 404.2' @ 1000 yd / 134.7 m @ 1000 m

AFOV: 8x32 = 56.4 degrees; 10x32 = 60.7 degrees

If you don't know what the apparent field of view (AFOV) is, use the search function. Put simply, it's a measure to compare the field of view of binoculars with different magnifications and tells you, how wide their field of view "feels".

Handshake individual? NO ONE can hold a 10x steadier than an 8x... that is a FACT.

Sure - but there are plenty of people who can handhold a 10x binocular steady enough to get quite a lot more detail than with a 8x binocular.

Tha 8x32 has one less glass element than its 10x brother while still having a 4mm exit pupil... the only thing worse than a 10x32 is a 10x25.

10x32s don't work for me either. But they do for quite a few people.

Hermann

AFOV: 8x32 = 56.4 degrees; 10x32 = 60.7 degrees

If you don't know what the apparent field of view (AFOV) is, use the search function. Put simply, it's a measure to compare the field of view of binoculars with different magnifications and tells you, how wide their field of view "feels".

I'm aware of the theoretical number of AFOV.

In the actual case of the Ultravid 8x32 vs 10x32, for my eyes, it doesn't translate into anything real. The 10x32 makes me "feel" like I'm looking in a railway tunnel... an unrelaxed view, which is absolutely not the case with the 8x32.

So for some people or some binoculars the formula appears to be at odds with what we actually see...

I'm aware of the theoretical number of AFOV.

In the actual case of the Ultravid 8x32 vs 10x32, for my eyes, it doesn't translate into anything real. The 10x32 makes me "feel" like I'm looking in a railway tunnel... an unrelaxed view, which is absolutely not the case with the 8x32.

So for some people or some binoculars the formula appears to be at odds with what we actually see...

Hi 45north

Many folks find AFOV helpful in translating how the field of view will appear to them.
You don't (and neither do I) but there is another way to represent the fov and that is to treat the fov at 1,000 ft or metres as the diameter of the circle of view that you get. Using the formual pi x radius squared you can calculate the area of the sky, or mountain or lake or sea that the bino brings to your eyes.
In the case of the two Leicas the 10x gives you 10,790 sq metres at 1,000m and the 8x yields 14,252 sq metres or in other words a 32% bigger view and it is this that perhaps gives you that wideopen easy view when you look through the 8x. This 32% advantage applies at all distances by the way.

Lee

Hi 45north

Many folks find AFOV helpful in translating how the field of view will appear to them.
You don't (and neither do I) but there is another way to represent the fov and that is to treat the fov at 1,000 ft or metres as the diameter of the circle of view that you get. Using the formual pi x radius squared you can calculate the area of the sky, or mountain or lake or sea that the bino brings to your eyes.
In the case of the two Leicas the 10x gives you 10,790 sq metres at 1,000m and the 8x yields 14,252 sq metres or in other words a 32% bigger view and it is this that perhaps gives you that wideopen easy view when you look through the 8x. This 32% advantage applies at all distances by the way.

Lee

Lee, that formula makes far more sense to me based on what I actually see in the Ultravid 8x32 vs 10x32!

Thanks for your insight.

Well I may only be in the "9%" bracket but still feel an 8X54/6 would be more useful and frankly stunning compared to a 10X32.

LGM

LGM
Wouldn't be my first choice either, but then again, neither would a 54/56. And actually, since I am quite used to the 2.5mm exit pupil of the 8x20s that usually sit on my desk, the 3.2mm of a 10x32 ought to be fine. Hmmm......

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back