• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

using a flash with setup? (1 Viewer)

ctron

I'm relatively new to digiscoping/ birding, but I recently acquired a Canon 350D along with a Canon 400 mm f/5.6 lens. I never thought about it, but when I browse around the web, I'm finding that some folks apparently use a flash to fill in shadow areas or to take birds in shade. I never thought a flash could be strong enough to illuminate out to maybe 100', but I see that some are advertised as doing that. I guess my questions are two:

1) What differences can a flash make at greater distances and even in sunlight and;

2) What would be a decent flash to use with the setup I have?

Thanks,
Eric

Look into the Canon Speedlite flashes, either the 430EX or the 580EX II. You attach the "Better Beamer" mentioned by Outboard to these flashes.

The biggest difference between the two flashes is how far out they will throw light. The 580EX II will throw light farther than the 430EX. There are also smaller differences between the flashes.

These flashes also give you the ability to work with "flash exposure compensation" and this is where they really begin to shine as a tool.

If you are taking pictures outside in sunlight, and you want to take out some shadows you may not need the full power of the flash. Flash exposure compensation allows you to dial down the intensity so that the shadows are lit but the rest of the picture is now washed out.

When taking pictures of birds a flash will often bring out the iridescence of the feathers, and sometimes it's the only way to put that sparkle/catch light in the eyes of a subject.

A good flash is well worth the investment given the camera setup you have.

I am thinking of getting the Better Beamer to use with my 100 400 L IS, I see they are available in the UK from http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=12837&1=Flash+X-tender for £29.99.
I was a little worried when I saw a thread with these pics. showing what happens if you leave them in direct sunlight for to long, (See Photo's), they act as a magnifying glass.........SO BE AWARE!!......I will still buy one though.

Rob

Attachments

• Better Beamer Damage.jpg
    Better Beamer Damage.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 580Ex Better Beamer.jpg
    580Ex Better Beamer.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 72
The 530EX has greater range but is also larger and quite a bit more expensive. I opted for the more compact (and cheaper ;) ) 430EX which is ideal for my needs. I've been using the flash extender Rob mentions for around a year - though only occasionally.

Realistically the working range for me is about 15m max though more often 10-12m. Most of my photography is hand held using a 400mm lens so I still look for 1/400 as a minimum shutter speed. To take advantage of the high sync speed the distance to subject is greatly reduced.

The point Rob makes has been well reported if you're planning on using one in sunny weather. My use has only been when there isn't enough available light around.

The flash extender is a great addition to have. I've taken quite a few photos that I couldn't have done without it.

These Sparrowhawks were taken two days ago hand held on a dull drizzly day under heavy cover from around 12m.

Attachments

• IMG_7434ao.JPG
    IMG_7434ao.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7442ao.JPG
    IMG_7442ao.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7422ao.JPG
    IMG_7422ao.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7644aao.JPG
    IMG_7644aao.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 71
what triggers do you guys use? Im thinking of getting just one flash head (430EX) for a nocturnal shoot and need a remote trigger. I understand the Canon ST-E2 is really good but works for upti 3 heads. Would a cheaper alternative be a step in the wrong direction?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-Trigger...ryZ48515QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for e.g.

I tested these 'poverty wizards' last year...they are OK but I found they randomly fired my 430EX and did not fire any flashes more than about 75-80% of the time.

If you have a pop-up flash on your camera body, you may be better off getting a wein 'peanut' slave - you would need a hotshoe adapter for the 430EX too.

Best solution would be to go with Pocket Wizards - 99.9999999% reliable, amazing range, don't require line of site (the ST-E2 does), and can work to trigger a remote camera too...but they are pricey!

A flash and Better Beamer are an important part of my kit. The combo provides fill light and really brings out the color and detail in the feathers. And for hummers, flash is indispensable. Here's a couple of examples using flash.

Attachments

• Bluebird-1_edited-1.JPG
    Bluebird-1_edited-1.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Chickadee.gif
    Chickadee.gif
    206 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back