• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightroom to PBASE export - image quality problem (1 Viewer)

RobHynson

Hi all,

I use Lightroom 4 to process my photos and export them as JPEGs for my PBASE gallary.

There is a marked drop in quality when I view the photos in PBASE compared to lightroom. I appreciate there will be a small drop in quality with the compression involved in making the JPEGs. I can open the exported JPEGs on my PC and they look comparable to the original in lightroom but once they are in PBASE they are nowhere near as sharp as they were in lightroom or when viewing the exported JPEG before putting them on PBASE.

I think my export process to produce the JPEG is ok based on the comparable quality of the exported jpeg to the original in lightroom. The big difference is when I put them in PBASE.

Has anyone else had similar issues or have any tips to help keep the quality when I post to PBASE?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

I don't know PBASE, but a common problem with a couple of similar image hosters is that their servers use only images up to a certain size for displaying.
Images that are uploaded larger are automatically scaled down for display (even if the original full size file is still stored on the server it is not the one displayed) and during this scaling process image quality, in particular sharpness, can suffer significantly.
The only solution I know about is to upload only images that meet the size restrictions that the server software imposes so that they are displayed as they are without platform internal processing.
You may want to check the PBASE info if there is information about an optimal image size (and possibly also for some info if RGB, sRGB or some other color space should be used when generating the jpgs)....

Ulli

I haven't had any such issues myself. Uploads to Pbase for me are coming through at the exact same MB count when viewed in Pbase as the original JPGs of the same size on my computer. Looking at your gallery, you are posting your originals at 1024x pixel width (the same that I use for Pbase)...so if you want to test or make sure that there's no loss of res going to PBase, try checking the file size of the JPG on your computer before you've exported it, then go to PBase, and download a copy of the JPG onto your computer from PBase, and check the file size. They should be the same - since the upload to Pbase and the download both should be lossless.

The only other outside thought - any chance your PBase view has been inadvertently switched to the 'large' viewing size, rather than 'original'? Using the small, medium, or large viewing sizes will resize and compress the photo, and will not show the max quality...viewing in 'original' should show the file exactly as it was uploaded.

As a quick comparison, I looked at this resized 1024x pixel width JPG that is on my harddrive and used to export to Pbase:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/142970644/original.jpg

and the file size is 397,132 bytes. When I view the original in Pbase, and right-click, save-as to my computer, the saved JPG direct from PBase has the identical 397,132 byte size.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back