• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D50 Settings (1 Viewer)

JTF

I normally shoot with Vivid JPEG Normal, is this setting what most D50 users use or do any of the other settings give up better shots. Here is the menu setting for this in my camera. I could just try them all but was working here on the PC tonight and after looking at some shots taken today in good light it got me thinking. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• D50 Image Menu.jpg
    D50 Image Menu.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 93
  • D50 JPEG Settings.jpg
    D50 JPEG Settings.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 90
I normally shoot with Vivid JPEG Normal, is this setting what most D50 users use or do any of the other settings give up better shots. Here is the menu setting for this in my camera. I could just try them all but was working here on the PC tonight and after looking at some shots taken today in good light it got me thinking. Thanks for any input.

Always used RAW with all my cameras (D50, D300, D800). JPG files don't contain the information that permits optimum processing. If you use JPG set the highest quality, i.e. most pixels and lowest compression. Normal JPG is not it. FINE rings a bell, but check your camera menue/manual what other options can be set. L was another option, giving you files with the full sensor pixel count, while M and S scaled down the pixel dimensions of the jpg file. Colormode (like vivid) and sharpening are additional presets that affect in camera processing.

Last edited:
Paul – I've never seen much difference in the images shot with my D60 in fine or normal. The file size varies, but it seems that normal is OK for casual photography.

However, I'd suggest shooting in RAW and doing some post processing using the Nikon software apps, View NX-2 or Capture NX-D. Practically all in camera settings for JPG image processing can be duplicated in post processing. For example, if the camera's White Balance setting is on auto you may not necessarily get proper colours if the sky conditions are overcast. Easy to correct from a RAW file, not so easy with a JPG.

In addition, the Vivid, Neutral, Portrait, Landscape and Monochrome Picture Controls can be easily set in post processing.

This can be a big advantage in simplifying your shooting technique. Simply ignore the JPG in camera settings knowing that you can set those after the fact.

Great little camera that I still occasionally use. Prefer to use Raw to any of the jpeg settings and process in Lightroom 3.4. Although ahead of its time the photo's can be noisy at higher iso's, likewise the white balance can be too cold at times.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back