• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED Mk1 v Mk2 (1 Viewer)

dougan

I am thinking of buying these to replace my old Swift Ultralite's, the older original model.

I can get a Mk1 pair of Frontier's for £249, where the Mk2's are £80 more expensive. Would there be a great difference between the two?

Thanks

Hawke

I am thinking of buying these to replace my old Swift Ultralite's, the older original model.

I can get a Mk1 pair of Frontier's for £249, where the Mk2's are £80 more expensive. Would there be a great difference between the two?

Thanks

I have recently bought a pair of Mk1 8x43 as a 2nd pair. I tried new and old and to my eyes I preferred the old ones! Of course that is to me I would suggest going to optics retailer and trying the two out. No doubt other people will have differing views.

Phil

Thanks Phil!
As you say I will have to try them out, don't think there are any Hawke dealers in North Devon though.

Would the image quality be a big improvement over my 15 year old Swifts?

I imagine the difference would be better but the only way is to try them. Keep an eye open in the birding mags for events where they are selling optics, they usually have them at the big reserves periodically. Maybe worth a trip out to try the bins for yourself, not sure where you are but SW Optics were ok when I bought from them, if they stock Hawke's.

Phil

Thanks Phil!
As you say I will have to try them out, don't think there are any Hawke dealers in North Devon though.

Would the image quality be a big improvement over my 15 year old Swifts?

The difference will me considerable. Can I suggest you look at sherwoods who are doing the ED's for £210. They do mail order and I am certain they will provide you views comparable with any of the alpha's.

Thanks

If you look about 8 posts down in the "Others" thread you will find all the answers to your question, and a link to a review of the differences.

Tom

The difference will me considerable. Can I suggest you look at sherwoods who are doing the ED's for £210. They do mail order and I am certain they will provide you views comparable with any of the alpha's.

Many thanks for the link! I see it is only the 8x36 and 10x36 for that price, I was after the 8x43 version.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back