• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED10 x 50 or 8 x 36 (1 Viewer)

AndyK

Hawke Frontier ED 10 x 36 or 8 x 36

Im about to purchase my first decent set of binoculars and sherwoods have the original frontier ed (not 2011 model) on offer £210 for the 8x36 or £215 for the 10x50. Im tempted by the 10x50 just because of the extra range for a relatively new birder.

The weight appears to be the same, does anyone have any experience with both sets that might be able to offer a comparison?

Last edited:
Andy,

I'm a little confused over which pairs you mean. Sherwoods have a 8x36 and a 10x36 at the price and weight you mention. I don't think there is a 10x50 Frontier ED.

David

Then I think it depends where and when you intend to use them. In my opinion a 3.6mm EP (10x)would be fine for summer and the brighter winter days, but will struggle in twilight. The 4.6mm EP (8x) will be noticeably brighter, but given your age you could benefit from even larger EPs, but then they are bigger, heavier and usually more expensive.

David

Then I think it depends where and when you intend to use them. In my opinion a 3.6mm EP (10x)would be fine for summer and the brighter winter days, but will struggle in twilight. The 4.6mm EP (8x) will be noticeably brighter, but given your age you could benefit from even larger EPs, but then they are bigger, heavier and usually more expensive.

David

General use in the field really, but I would like a little more zoom for spotting birds of prey on the wing, and smaller birds in bushes at a distance. I dont really want to go more than 10 as I would rather have a pair not too heavy on the arms, I might be 'young' but im no bodybuilder!

Andy,

I really can't advise you on this. I couldn't hold a 700g 10x steady and any magnification advantage is wasted on me. You may be fine with it as many people are, but, as Frank and I pointed out earlier there are other aspects to consider. I usually carry both a light 7x and a heavy 12x. Unfortunately you need to figure out what works for you.

David

The X 36 ED's are shorter in overall length than the x 43's (I have had them all) but weight really isn't an issue for me at 48 so shouldn't be for you. The 10 X really do give you a bit more reach when out on the estuaries and It's those that I always come back to. The Frontier ED's perform exceptionally well in low light conditions also. I too have had bino's from Sherwood so be confident that when they describe them as nearly new they really are that good.

I would choose the 8x36, I cant imagine myself using 10x tracking smaller birds in bushes, with 8x you get a more relaxing view without missing any features for Id purposes... and the most important of all you dont miss the bird!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back