• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro Professional ED 80/560mm (1 Viewer)

The glass in the shorter scope uses an FPL-51 ED element where as the SW80ED uses an FPL-53 ED element. Because of this the SW80ED will produce better colour corrected photos than the scope you linked to. I'd always advise that FPL-53 is the way to go if you intend to use it for photography.

Paul.

I was advised by a good friend who works at a telescope shop( and really knows his stuff), to stay away from the 560. CA is a real problem with it because of what Paul explained. I went with the 80/600 and do NOT regret it.

Compared to the SW80ED the good thing about the carbon scope is the weight and also the retractable dewshield. It may be worth looking around for as many photos you can find taken with the scope and see what you think. FPL-51 tends to produce some blue fringing around high contrast areas in photos compared to FPL-53. FPL-51 is better in a triplet and then it's on par with an FPL-53 doublet. The SW80Ed is a lower build quality, no retractable dew shield, heavier but it does have very good glass. The difference may be quite marginal but it's ultimately your choice.

Found this blog (in French) and hopefully this link through google translate works. Only a few images with the scope you linked to, click here.

Paul.

Thanks for the feedback lads.

Think I'll play it safe and stick with the SW80ED.

Anyone recommend the best place to buy one?

Cheers Lee

A lot of buyers on here have used the site in your link for the carbon 560mm scope. You will save a lot compared to the UK price. From all accounts they are a good company to deal with. The site Dan linked to looks good value too.

Paul.

Lee,

Have a look at the following gallery on this french blog.
Taken with the Astro Professional (Carbon) scope. Looks quite promising to me.

http://uranieleblog.blogspot.de/2010/02/astro-professional-carbone-80-ed-et.html

I have bought the non-carbon version at the beginning of this year and I am very pleased.

The weight difference between the carbon and non-carbon scope is only marginal (50g).
It's more about style and adaption to temperature - which in case of terrestrial use is a non issue. Anyways, the heavy weight part is the focuser, but to cut down on that part cost you a small fortune.

Also I would highly recommend buying it at the following link because, besides costing 10 Euros more than the same (non-carbon) version at Teleskop-Express, they do test and adjust it before shipping out!

http://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de...-80-Refraktor-OTA-Astro-Professional::44.html

I bought mine at another place and had to send it back for adjustment.

Regarding color aberration. It's mostly only visible and disturbing in very high contrast situations, where you have bright white surfaces. But also slightly on sky backgrounds.

But that shouldn't keep you away.
In that case I use the "Purple Fringe Killer" plug-in for photoshop which works like a charm.
See here:

http://www.dannysdigiscoping.com/apps/forums/topics/show/3191840

This was my first post and I hope I could be of any help.

Frank

You will only need an 80mm 2" extension and a T2 adapter for Nikon mount. A micro focuser is nice, but not essential, and can always be added later.

Thanks for that Frank.

I've spent the afternoon doing a bit of research on some of the scopes and it looks like the 560 has been downgraded to a semi APO??

I think I'll go with the experience of other members on here and get myself a SW 80ED.

Now to try and order the scope from Dan's friend in a foreign language |:D|

Thanks Dan, will have a look for them.

I'm unable to register for the site you linked to at the minute. Will try again tomorrow.

I bought mine from HERE Lee. I am fairly sure this is the same one that I got about three weeks ago but the price seems to have gone up a bit (I paid 339 euros for the scope - £291 inc postage) Mine is the Basic version: Case, eyepiece, finder and diangoal mirror not included. It has also only got the one speed focuser (which works absolutely fine for me).

Last edited:
I bought mine from HERE Lee. I am fairly sure this is the same one that I got about three weeks ago but the price seems to have gone up a bit (I paid 339 euros for the scope - £291 inc postage) Mine is the Basic version: Case, eyepiece, finder and diangoal mirror not included. It has also only got the one speed focuser (which works absolutely fine for me).

I think you got one of the last single speed ones and I noticed they had gone from the site soon after. The higher price is for the dual speed focuser. The price you paid was a bargain.

Paul.

"Now to try and order the scope from Dan's friend in a foreign language"

Their website is also in English and they are perfectly capable of dealing in English.

If you have any problems, send me a PM and I will give Tommy (my friend) a call.

I think you got one of the last single speed ones and I noticed they had gone from the site soon after. The higher price is for the dual speed focuser. The price you paid was a bargain.

Paul.
That explains it then Paul, I know the link to one I bought no longer worked within days of me buying it.
The strange thing I have noticed is that different sites seem to give it a different name - mine was called a Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED but on the link to the Austrian site it is called a Black Diamond!

The Black Diamond name came out a couple of years ago when they changed the scopes colour scheme from the old gold/white to the new black/white.

Paul.

"Now to try and order the scope from Dan's friend in a foreign language"

Their website is also in English and they are perfectly capable of dealing in English.

If you have any problems, send me a PM and I will give Tommy (my friend) a call.

Yeah, it's the registration that was in a foreign language and was keep faulting out Dan.

Working this morning though.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back