• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disocoping with the Panasonic GH4 (1 Viewer)

Neil,

Your opinion on this camera is better than Nikon V1? How about when compared against Sony RXIII?

The Sony is better than the V1/V2 Jason due to it's sensor. The Nikon 1 sensor was built for speed which is it's strength. As well as being able to use other Nikon lenses.
The GH4 is a fantastic camera for video, especially 4k, which is what I mostly shoot, but the 1080/60p out of the RX100 is good too. The Nikon video is not so good.
I find the RX100 /1,2,3 to be the best for digiscoping cameras with intergrated lenses and AF for stills it's my preferred camera. But I normally am shooting at least 5 cameras when in the hide for different applications, from fast action at 10-30 meters ( plovers/stints etc) the the Sony RX100M3,NikonV2 or P340,long distance video at 50-200 metres - GH4,Canon SX60,Sony200v, timelapse 10-500 metres- Sony Nex6,RX100M3,SX60,GH3 or iphone6, and flight shots with the Nikon D810 + 300/4 afs. I don't like to miss anything.
Neil.

Neil,
I'm looking to use GH3 or GH4 for video on Swarovski ATS80HD - do you recommend using TLS or DCB adapters?

Also, what's sound quality like with these cameras? I recognise won't be as good as camcorder

Greg

Neil,
I'm looking to use GH3 or GH4 for video on Swarovski ATS80HD - do you recommend using TLS or DCB adapters?

Also, what's sound quality like with these cameras? I recognise won't be as good as camcorder

Greg

Internal sound is pretty good! But if you care about sound you will get an external mic and if you really really care about sound you will get a Zoom or similar and sync the sound in editing.

Neil,

Greg

Greg,
Sorry for the delay on this I've been away in China and internet is not the best. They block Facebook and Google and sites from Hong Kong due to the protests.
Anyway I don't have an external mike for the GH3/4 but I need one. The camera mike picks up to much of me breathing and moving. Panasonic make one which I hear is good which I'll get soon.
Neil.

Greg,
Sorry for the delay on this I've been away in China and internet is not the best. They block Facebook and Google and sites from Hong Kong due to the protests.
Anyway I don't have an external mike for the GH3/4 but I need one. The camera mike picks up to much of me breathing and moving. Panasonic make one which I hear is good which I'll get soon.
Neil.

Thanks for the response Neil. Do you know what crop ratio you get using GH3 or 4 for video with an ATS80 and the TLS adapter? I'm presuming it's about the same as using a lens fitted to the camera and using a Digidapter?

Thanks for the response Neil. Do you know what crop ratio you get using GH3 or 4 for video with an ATS80 and the TLS adapter? I'm presuming it's about the same as using a lens fitted to the camera and using a Digidapter?

The TLS on the ATS80 is 800 mm x the Crop factor of the camera attached, so with Micro 4/3rds it's 2x or 1600 mm. There is a small increase in magnification when in video mode, maybe 1.2/1.3x. I don't like to videoscope this way as you only have a fixed magnification and your starting point is quite long. I like a range of at least from 1,000 -3,000 mm.
Also with video in bright light you need to use an ND filter as the GH3 doesn't have one built in. The Sony RX 100 M3 and Nikon P340 do.
My setup with your scope would be the Sony RX 100M3 and the 30x eyepiece with the Nikon P340 for backup ( they are both a similar size and lens magnfication ).
Neil.

The TLS on the ATS80 is 800 mm x the Crop factor of the camera attached, so with Micro 4/3rds it's 2x or 1600 mm. There is a small increase in magnification when in video mode, maybe 1.2/1.3x. I don't like to videoscope this way as you only have a fixed magnification and your starting point is quite long. I like a range of at least from 1,000 -3,000 mm.
Also with video in bright light you need to use an ND filter as the GH3 doesn't have one built in. The Sony RX 100 M3 and Nikon P340 do.
My setup with your scope would be the Sony RX 100M3 and the 30x eyepiece with the Nikon P340 for backup ( they are both a similar size and lens magnfication ).
Neil.

Thanks again for the info Neil. I already have a camcorder set up using the Panasonic HC-X920 plus a 3x converter which gets me good quality HD footage at closer ranges but need something for more extreme situations. I used to attach an older Sony camcorder to the telescope just using a DCA adapter and that worked pretty well until the camcorder broke. All newer camcorder models create too much vignetting so a Micro 4/3rds or compact camera with video options seems the best bet.

I assume for the Sony RX100M3 and/or Nikon P340 you suggest attachment via a digiscoping adapter rather than the TLS? Having said that I see some people have problems with the Sony camera mount on digiscoping adapters ...

Cheers

Thanks again for the info Neil. I already have a camcorder set up using the Panasonic HC-X920 plus a 3x converter which gets me good quality HD footage at closer ranges but need something for more extreme situations. I used to attach an older Sony camcorder to the telescope just using a DCA adapter and that worked pretty well until the camcorder broke. All newer camcorder models create too much vignetting so a Micro 4/3rds or compact camera with video options seems the best bet.

I assume for the Sony RX100M3 and/or Nikon P340 you suggest attachment via a digiscoping adapter rather than the TLS? Having said that I see some people have problems with the Sony camera mount on digiscoping adapters ...

Cheers

Extreme Digiscoping is at least 2,000 mm plus so the TLS won't do it for you. If you need 3,000 mm plus then the 25 -50x eyepiece and the Sony rx100M3 will do a good job.
I have some photos with the Sony herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157646410283245/

Neil

Last edited:
Extreme Digiscoping is at least 2,000 mm plus so the TLS won't do it for you. If you need 3,000 mm plus then the 25 -50x eyepiece and the Sony rx100M3 will do a good job.
I have some photos with the Sony herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157646410283245/

Neil

Going off GH4 topic a bit here I know but Sony rx100m3 looks great but will only attach with a bulky digidapter by the look of it (has no lens filter thread). Advantage of the TLS or even the DCA is that they fit simply over the eyepiece. Still on the look out for good HD video quality with simplest possible fitting to one of these.

Simon,
Did you also use a ND filter with your GH4 and Kowa setup as Neil does or did you find this unnecessary? Thanks,
Frank

Does anyone have any problems or issues with the lack of image stabilisation on the GH4 - particularly regarding video? I know it's available on compatible lenses but if attached using say a TLS APO on a telescope then likely to be an issue in windy conditions?

Greg

Does anyone have any problems or issues with the lack of image stabilisation on the GH4 - particularly regarding video? I know it's available on compatible lenses but if attached using say a TLS APO on a telescope then likely to be an issue in windy conditions?

Greg

Shake is the enemy of the videoscoper. I use a TLS adaptor and have had to upgrade my tripod to del with shake, at high magnifications it is a problem when out in the open. I use a Swaro ATX 95mm so at the top mag 0f 75x shake can be a big problem. I am learning to deal with this in video processing, whilst getting a larger video fluid head has also helped greatly. Suffice to say, if you are using the TLS APO directly on the GH4 in the open in windy conditions, shake will certainly be an issue, particularly at higher mag.

Shake is the enemy of the videoscoper. I use a TLS adaptor and have had to upgrade my tripod to del with shake, at high magnifications it is a problem when out in the open. I use a Swaro ATX 95mm so at the top mag 0f 75x shake can be a big problem. I am learning to deal with this in video processing, whilst getting a larger video fluid head has also helped greatly. Suffice to say, if you are using the TLS APO directly on the GH4 in the open in windy conditions, shake will certainly be an issue, particularly at higher mag.

What video head are you using now?

What video head are you using now?

Picked up a Manfrotto 501 HDV for 80 quid, which was a steal. Whilst not perfect, it has been a massive improvement on my past tripod head. Nice, fluid movement and decent for panning with...
I think the ideal solution is a Sactler Ace or something similar, designed for heavier video work. For the moment I am happy with the 501HDV.

Down in Sydney again for Christmas and enjoying seeing some of the bushland regulars around the waterholes.
The GH4 on the STS80HD is a bit long for this type of digiscoping but for Pardalotes and Finches it's wonderful.
Neil

Panasonic GH4 and Panasonic 20/1.7 mm Lens and Swarovski STS80HD and 25-50x eyepiece + UCA
Sydney,Australia
December 2014

Attachments

• lewins honeyeater syd GH4 20mm sts80hd 25-50x email_1780324.jpg
    lewins honeyeater syd GH4 20mm sts80hd 25-50x email_1780324.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 230
Had a great 10 days in Florida and attended the Space Coast Birding Festival with lot's of the best digiscopers from around the world. Great sharing of views and photos. Only one day of bad weather, unlike New York where it was -3c and snowing.
I took several cameras as usual but ended up only using the GH4 on the scope. The 20/1.7 mm lens continues to impress even though I use it in manual focus mode.
The STX 95 mm scope is a bit long for Florida though as many of the birds are large and close.
Neil.
Panasonic GH4 + Panasonic 20/1.7 mm lens and Swarovski STX 95 Scope (30-70x eyepiece) and DCB 11 Adapter
Florida, USA
January 2015

Attachments

• anhinga F Fl GH4 stx95_1840146.jpg
    anhinga F Fl GH4 stx95_1840146.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 147
  • double crested cormorant Fl GH4 stx95 c _1830712.jpg
    double crested cormorant Fl GH4 stx95 c _1830712.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 189
  • hooded merganiser F Fl GH4 stx95_1830101.jpg
    hooded merganiser F Fl GH4 stx95_1830101.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 165
  • sora GH4 stx95_1800766.jpg
    sora GH4 stx95_1800766.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Anhinga Pair Display14 Fl GH4 stx95 24Jan 2015.jpg
    Anhinga Pair Display14 Fl GH4 stx95 24Jan 2015.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back