• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon D7200.... (1 Viewer)

The timing is right for me. I've been wanting/needing a second body, both as a back up and so I can have 2 cameras simultaneously ready to shoot with different lenses mounted. Spring/summer is approaching which is when I tend to do most of my bird photography. So I went ahead and pre-ordered one, even though I view the D7200 as a very minor update and not much better than my D7100 in most ways. A deeper buffer and slightly improved AF (hopefully not only improved in low light). The sensor may be different but they didn't even mention a "new" sensor, so I'm not expecting any significant improvement in high ISO or dynamic range. I'm glad the sensor still lacks an OLP filter. I'm convinced that doesn't hurt and maybe sometimes it helps capture a tiny bit more resolution. Built-in WiFi is nice too, but they need to improve the phone app to give us better remote camera control.

Call me crazy, but because this camera clearly doesn't even try to compete with the 7DII, I still think a truly pro DX body eventually may still appear... If I wasn't really wanting/needing a second body right now, I would probably wait. If a pro DX body finally does happen, then Nikon will have played me perfectly, and this D7200 might quickly become my back-up / second body.

Nikon is still "holding back" when it comes to high-end DX, continuing to try to force people switch to FX, or possibly saving room for an upcoming pro DX body (or both). Nonetheless, for bird photography, the improved buffer and AF system makes this D7200 an even more compelling alternative to the D810, especially for someone who is limited on funds; it lets you put those extra $$ into the lens.

Dave

PS. Here is a link to open a handy comparison for D7100 vs. D7200. In some of the original announcements it sounded like the latest "Group" AF mode was not included, but this says it is. Also some sources show a very slight difference in body size/weight, but they are listed the same on this sheet. I think they are pretty much exactly the same size and take the same grip.
http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o...hRroI/PDF/D7200-D7100_Comparison_Sheet_en.pdf

Last edited:
The timing is right for me. I've been wanting/needing a second body, both as a back up and so I can have 2 cameras simultaneously ready to shoot with different lenses mounted. Spring/summer is approaching which is when I tend to do most of my bird photography. So I went ahead and pre-ordered one, even though I view the D7200 as a very minor update and not much better than my D7100 in most ways. A deeper buffer and slightly improved AF (hopefully not only improved in low light). The sensor may be different but they didn't even mention a "new" sensor, so I'm not expecting any significant improvement in high ISO or dynamic range. I'm glad the sensor still lacks an OLP filter. I'm convinced that doesn't hurt and maybe sometimes it helps capture a tiny bit more resolution. Built-in WiFi is nice too, but they need to improve the phone app to give us better remote camera control.

Call me crazy, but because this camera clearly doesn't even try to compete with the 7DII, I still think a truly pro DX body eventually may still appear... If I wasn't really wanting/needing a second body right now, I would probably wait. If a pro DX body finally does happen, then Nikon will have played me perfectly, and this D7200 might quickly become my back-up / second body.

Nikon is still "holding back" when it comes to high-end DX, continuing to try to force people switch to FX, or possibly saving room for an upcoming pro DX body (or both). Nonetheless, for bird photography, the improved buffer and AF system makes this D7200 an even more compelling alternative to the D810, especially for someone who is limited on funds; it lets you put those extra $$ into the lens.

Dave

PS. Here is a link to open a handy comparison for D7100 vs. D7200. In some of the original announcements it sounded like the latest "Group" AF mode was not included, but this says it is. Also some sources show a very slight difference in body size/weight, but they are listed the same on this sheet. I think they are pretty much exactly the same size and take the same grip.
http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o...hRroI/PDF/D7200-D7100_Comparison_Sheet_en.pdf

Dave,
it is now here and I have started posting on my Flickr photo stream D7200 images this week. You are right in that it is very similar to the D710 but has a faster more accurate 9 point AF and NO group AF. Buffer is large enough for most now. The sensor is probably Toshiba but the Exspeed processor is reported by Bill Claff to have dealt with pattern noise. It may also have a different black point as in the D810.
I have only been using jpegs so far and no high iso work as yet but when I get access to an easy raw workflow (might wait for LR to accommodate it) I will know better just how much the sensor is improved.
SO far largely happy with the performance and no worries with the sensor.
A reasonable upgrade to the D7100 but not the D800-to D810 type upgrade I was hoping for.

Same here, found the AF to feel more responsive and accurate even with the 1.7x TC on the 300mm pf.
Larger buffer already came handy once and I like the larger font on the top screen, makes it easier to read in sunlight.

I already posted some photos with it and the 300mm pf in my thread in the lenses subforum.

Dave,
it is now here and I have started posting on my Flickr photo stream D7200 images this week. You are right in that it is very similar to the D710 but has a faster more accurate 9 point AF and NO group AF. Buffer is large enough for most now. The sensor is probably Toshiba but the Exspeed processor is reported by Bill Claff to have dealt with pattern noise. It may also have a different black point as in the D810.
I have only been using jpegs so far and no high iso work as yet but when I get access to an easy raw workflow (might wait for LR to accommodate it) I will know better just how much the sensor is improved.
SO far largely happy with the performance and no worries with the sensor.
A reasonable upgrade to the D7100 but not the D800-to D810 type upgrade I was hoping for.

Have now processed a few hundred D7200 bird images in Lightroom using the D5300 spoof that Micloi here told us about. Quite impressed with detail retention and colour. Even though the jpegs are reputed to bet a bit better art high iso, processing the new files gives better detail rendition and shadow/ highlight control.

The D7200 isn't that "new" anymore, but I noticed Thom Hogan posted his review. Thom will sometimes take a while to put out a full review, but by the time he does, usually it is pretty thoughtful and detailed. He covered a few things in this review that I didn't know. Nice tip about how to quickly select images for transfer to your mobile device. I found it interesting when he said that for shooting wildlife he thinks he will prefer the 24MP of the D7200 compared to the 15 MP DX crop on his D810. Anyway, here you go.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d7200-camera-review.html

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back