• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1D4 battery calibration (1 Viewer)

Keebs

If I fire off enough shots, maybe just one of 'em
Since buying a spare battery for my 1D4 every time either battery runs down (I'm alternating them to spread the use) the camera recommends that it should be calibrated on the next charge.

Both batteries have now been calibrated using the LC-E4 charger but the camera is still recommending calibration when each one runs low.

Is this simply the camera not "remembering" more than one battery or something else?
Never had this when using only the first battery, only since adding a second.

Actual battery life seems fine with both.

EDIT: I should add that both batteries are genuine Canon LP-E4, not 3rd party equivalents.

Last edited:
i charge mine on the 1D3 after each session ,i never let it run low a days shooting can run to around 500 shots in raw and that doesn't even move it off the battery full sign .lithium ion batteries are not designed to be fully run down ,the older ni-cad type ones were so they didn't build a memory .li-ion are designed to be topped up to max for efficient running .only ever done a re-calibration once when i bought the camera about 18 months ago

Must be something to do with the arrival of Spring!...... One of my two 1d4 batteries has has just started coming up with the same alert. Did a full "cal" and the alert is still there. I did read a thread somewhere on the "net" that it had taken someone a couple of goes at calibration before the alert cleared. Best I get out and start trying to run that battery down a bit......

A lot of it depends on the age of your batteries and how many charge cycles they've been through... unfortunately they don't last forever...

I own 2 1D4s, and now 4 batteries. Early this year, I had 6 but then those 2 required calibration every charge cycle, and even after that, each only lasted for maybe 200 shots before depleting so I got rid of them.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back